cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frozen Time Clock in UEFI - The Fix

Raja
Level 13
Is your motherboard suffering from the malady of a frozen time clock in UEFI?

If so try the following:

1) Reflash the latest UEFI, using EZ Flash 2 or USB BIOS flashback.

2) When the system POSTs, enter UEFI. Once in UEFI power down the motherboard. Keep the PSU attached and "on". Only the motherboard is powered off and in "standby". You will see the MB standby lights on (boards with start buttons onboard will be lit). Standby does not mean the board is actually running, standby means the board has power, but you have not pressed the power button to turn it on. Make sure the board is off before you go to the next step in this list. You will know if it is off because if you leave it for 5 seconds it should not POST~BOOT - this means it is in standby.

3) Clear CMOS (Clear RTC) for 10 seconds. This will clear the Management Engine.

4) Power up the system, enter UEFI, set the clock and then save and exit.

5) Update MEI driver to Version 9.5.14.1724 in the OS.

6 )Carry on using the system as normal.

The above steps should fix the issue.

-Raja
375 REPLIES 375

robotzombie
Level 7
I'm having the problem, never overclocked anything.

Is there any permanent solution to this yet?

karl_azytzeen
Level 7
Does later updates of the MEI software work with fix/workaround?

In the download section can be found MEI_V11.0.0.1155_20150709_WHQL_1.5M

Txs
i7 4770k delidded | Maximus VI Formula | 2x8Gb Gskill 2400 | HD4890 CF | NZXT 820

Not sure if I'm having the same issue as everyone else, but the Clock in Windows (and in the Bios) is set back by 2 hours every 2-3 days. It's always these two hours (e.g. 18.00h instead of 20.00h), date and other Bios settings stay correct. I'm on a Maximus Impact VII with the latest Bios (2801) but had this problem since months and with every BIOS I've tried. Tried the fix with new installation of Bios + CMOS reset in standby, tried replacing the battery, tried other suggestions I found - no results at all.

This is just very frustrating and I would love to RMA this expensive board. But I've modded a heatsink on the power delivery PCB to fit a large cooler (cut off two edges of the PCBs heatsink to make room for heatpipes). So I assume this is voiding my warranty, even though it's most definitely not the cause of my BIOS/clock problem.

Ironside
Level 7
Still no fix for this?

Loosing faith..

GregH
Level 7
Um guys, as you may have noticed, ASUS released this board two and a half years ago. Right from the outset, people including myself were complaining about this. The most recent BIOS update (which was a while ago) seemed to improve things marginally but not eliminate it. The clock will still freeze from time to time. Seems to have been aggravated by the latest "Nov update" of Windows. But that's just my opinion.

What is not opinion is that ASUS boards are overrated and the fact that they refuse to acknowledge their inferior and faulty product means that the HeroVI will be the last ASUS mother board I ever buy. My two most recent PC's are running high end MSI boards and I could not be happier.

Face facts people, after 2.5 years there is no fix coming. ASUS stopped support for this board. You, like me, are on your own my friends. You purchased an inferior product. Live with it or change brands.
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.4 GHz / EVGA GTX780 Superclocked / Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2400 MHz RAM 16GB / Asus Maximus Hero VI Motherboard / Corsair HX1050W PSU / Corsair H100i closed loop water cooler / LG Blu Ray DVD CD writer, Asus PB278 Monitor 2560x1440 / Logitech G110 KB / R.A.T. 5 Mouse, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB SSD / Samsung EVO 850 256GB SSD / Seagate 7200 RPM 2 TB HDD / Windows 10 Professional x64

desolator4u
Level 7
When I originally purchased this board, the previous owner said he had to deal with the time freezing at random. I have a Maximus VI Hero Z87 which has NEVER experienced this problem for the 2.5 years now that i've owned it.
I flashed the BIOS when I got it to 1002. I have been in the UEFI repeatedly overclocking it and altering tons of settings and still the time has never frozen. I am playing around with 4.4GHz now.
It really isn't clear what causes this problem. The only difference for me is i've running Windows 7 SP1 with Updates disabled, but I doubt the OS would cause this.
8700K / Noctua U12S / Maximus X Hero / 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti / Seasonic Prime 650W / 4 x 1TB SSD / 970 Pro 512GB M.2 / Game Zero Headset / K95 Platinum / Logitech G502 / Win 10 x64/ ViewSonic XG2701 1080p 144Hz