cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frozen Time Clock in UEFI - The Fix

Raja
Level 13
Is your motherboard suffering from the malady of a frozen time clock in UEFI?

If so try the following:

1) Reflash the latest UEFI, using EZ Flash 2 or USB BIOS flashback.

2) When the system POSTs, enter UEFI. Once in UEFI power down the motherboard. Keep the PSU attached and "on". Only the motherboard is powered off and in "standby". You will see the MB standby lights on (boards with start buttons onboard will be lit). Standby does not mean the board is actually running, standby means the board has power, but you have not pressed the power button to turn it on. Make sure the board is off before you go to the next step in this list. You will know if it is off because if you leave it for 5 seconds it should not POST~BOOT - this means it is in standby.

3) Clear CMOS (Clear RTC) for 10 seconds. This will clear the Management Engine.

4) Power up the system, enter UEFI, set the clock and then save and exit.

5) Update MEI driver to Version 9.5.14.1724 in the OS.

6 )Carry on using the system as normal.

The above steps should fix the issue.

-Raja
375 REPLIES 375

Tokens210 wrote:
If your saying u updated the bios using the updater then that reset your bios which in turn reset the clock, most likely the issue will return at a random time but let's hope that it doesn't lol

My bios was already at the latest.

What I will no longer do is save profiles in the Bios and load them which is possibly the cause ... so I heard on here from Raja I believe.
ASUS Maximus VI Formula - i7 4770K - H80i - MSI R9 Fury X - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD - Benq XL2730Z 2560x1440p 144hz Freesync - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...

Tokens210
Level 10
I never save profiles, yet at least mine originally froze when I was setting my over clock up

But since then if you see the directions I posted on a previous page on allow windows sync to run that has at least fixed my windows clock, that now never need to be set for date or time, a month strong now its been dead on no matter what I do

I also haven't gone back into the bios since those cause I had my overlcock was in place when the issue came about so I'm not sure at this time if mines still froze of not
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

johntroe
Level 7
Z87 Deluxe: I have had Clock Freeze issue periodically since I got the board 2013/06/03. but is has been worse the last few weeks and the periods between freezes are coming closer together. I've run AV scans, Male-ware scans. I replaced the battery, upgraded the BIOS, reset the BIOS. Read this thread. I just notice that this time the issues came after an update to nVidia Experience which I've not uninstalled.
Z87-Deluxe, Intel i7-4770k, 16GB 2400 RAM,
nVidia 780, 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250G Raid 0. Win 8.1 PRO

bern43
Level 7
Any progress on solving this? I've tried the windows sync thing to at least get my Windows clock working, but it never works for more than a few hours.
Asus Maximus Extreme Z, Intel 2600K at 4.5, Noctua NH-D14 cooler, MSI GTX 670 PE/OC, Dell U2412 monitor, 8GB Gskill Sniper memory at 1866, Corsair HX850 Power Supply, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Samsung 128 gb 830 ssd, WD RE4 2 tb X 2 in raid 1, Intel 320 870 gb ssd, Filco Tenkeyless keyboard, Logitech G400 Mouse, Audioengine A5 speakers, HP Officejet 6500 printer

bern43 wrote:
Any progress on solving this? I've tried the windows sync thing to at least get my Windows clock working, but it never works for more than a few hours.

Hello

This issues is still being investigated but there has not been a lot of progress at this time. As has been stated many times boards are needed with this issue in order to sort this out. As nobody from the U.S is either able or willing to cross ship a board that has this issue things have come to a standstill.

So why doesn't Asus make it worth an owner's while to send in a defective board? Even cross country shipping. geez., how many months has this been going on?

I will be really pissed if my board shows up with this problem a month down the road knowing Asus is putting absolutely no priority on this issue.

Asus needs to be doing something about this issue actively, not passively.

Asus has been my go to for Motherboards, but with this issue, even though I don not have it yet, unless Asus I see Asus taking some initiative, it will be my last.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Praz wrote:
Hello

This issues is still being investigated but there has not been a lot of progress at this time. As has been stated many times boards are needed with this issue in order to sort this out. As nobody from the U.S is either able or willing to cross ship a board that has this issue things have come to a standstill.

That's very disappointing. I'd send my board in, but I have a custom loop and it's a pain to tear it down. Also, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee that the same problem won't exist with the new board.

For those claiming that this is a just a minor convenience. I thought that at first too, but because it messes with my windows clock it causes all sorts of problems. Quick example is Crashplan not backing up properly because it can't tell how much time has passed between backups. I've tried the fix posted here and the Windows fix and neither have worked for more than a short time.
Asus Maximus Extreme Z, Intel 2600K at 4.5, Noctua NH-D14 cooler, MSI GTX 670 PE/OC, Dell U2412 monitor, 8GB Gskill Sniper memory at 1866, Corsair HX850 Power Supply, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Samsung 128 gb 830 ssd, WD RE4 2 tb X 2 in raid 1, Intel 320 870 gb ssd, Filco Tenkeyless keyboard, Logitech G400 Mouse, Audioengine A5 speakers, HP Officejet 6500 printer

bern43 wrote:
That's very disappointing. I'd send my board in, but I have a custom loop and it's a pain to tear it down. Also, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee that the same problem won't exist with the new board.

For those claiming that this is a just a minor convenience. I thought that at first too, but because it messes with my windows clock it causes all sorts of problems. Quick example is Crashplan not backing up properly because it can't tell how much time has passed between backups. I've tried the fix posted here and the Windows fix and neither have worked for more than a short time.

Well the problem would be on the new board 100% this issue effects all maximus VI series boards, since the windows clock can be fixed and since most of the time the bios clock starts and stops on its own some people just haven't noticed it

Asus needs a board to try and create a fix for everyone, that's what I've been saying on this thread over and over

Asus tried recreating the issue to the extent were having it and couldn't so they moved on like every other company and person would, no point in wasting time and money on a problem you can't recreate

They then have authorized techs and dealers which I'd guess is what raja is who are trying to no avail to get there hands on a board 100% froze so it can be sent to Asus so they can attempt a fix for everyone

Some ppl having to pay cross shipping sucks but from what I've read and understand Asus credits u the board meaning you get a brand new board for it

And I've said this again and again as well Asus won't continue to look into this, they aren't going to waste all the time, money and man power to create a fix

When

A. No user seems bothered enough by it to send them a totally frozen board
B. Next series is about to roll out, which doesn't mean there going to drop this series but there attention is currently in a different direction
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Tokens210 wrote:

And I've said this again and again as well Asus won't continue to look into this, they aren't going to waste all the time, money and man power to create a fix

When

A. No user seems bothered enough by it to send them a totally frozen board
B. Next series is about to roll out, which doesn't mean there going to drop this series but there attention is currently in a different direction

I understand your point of view, but if they don't correct the problem on this series of motherboards how would they know if it will not manifest or carry over to the next series? This doubt would cause me some reservations on purchasing another Asus motherboard or at least take a wait and observe approach to see if this problem persist in their new product.

I had trouble with frozen time and Windows time was thus in error, even saw the bios' time freeze (purely serendipitous of course). Tried Raja's in this sticky plus one or 2 others I found without success. I didn't know if it was a hardware or software (bios) problem but I finally tried an old method that's been around for a long time. No troubles with time (knock on wood) since I applied the fix on 4/18.

- Shutdown if machine it is on
- Unplugged power supply
- Pushed start button to discharge capacitors
- Reset CMOS and left bridge in that position
- Took out battery
- Let it set for a few minutes (while I got another cup of coffee)
- Replaced CMOS bridge to normal position
- While battery was probably OK, I inserted a different battery from another board
- Plugged power supply back in and started up
- Went in bios and reset time
- When in Windows, reset that time too

If problem is a hardware problem, this obviously won't do you any good but as a last resort might be worth a try. 😮