cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula VI Case fans

Denoppo
Level 7
Looks like the new Formula VI mobo will have 3 chassis fans headers and 3 opt fan headers, if I am reading the Chinese Manual correctly (pictures). I have never built a computer before so I have a couple of questions-
What is the maximum voltage per chassis fan header? My Noctua NF-A14 PWM case fans are .13 A and I want to place three of those on 1 chassis fan header for a total of .39A. Is this doable?
Also I have another set of same three fans (total .39A) for a different chassis fan header. Is this also doable w/o sending too much amps thru each case fan header?
What are the Opt fan headers for? Is this they can be controlled from an external source or by some other means such as Fan Expert II

Dave
Asus Maximus VI Formula-CaseLabs SM8 Case-Corsair K70 Keyboard
Corsair 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133-Dell 2560 X 1440 Monitor-Func MS-3 Mouse
Intel i4770K-Noctua NF-A14 PMW Case Fans-Prolimatech Genesis Black CPU Cooler/Fans
Samsung SSD 840 Pro-Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP-Windows 7 Ultimate
17 REPLIES 17

Denoppo
Level 7
OK thanks rismROG - I'm going for it.
Dave
Intel i4770K-Noctua NF-A14 PMW Case Fans-Prolimatech Genesis Black CPU Cooler/Fans

rdlambe1
Level 7
I just recently bought a Maximus VI Formula motherboard to replace my faulty Sabertooth Z87.

Everything on the Maximus VI Formula is working perfect, except the fan software.

On the Sabertooth Z87 it had 4 x 4-pin fan headers which I hooked up 4 x 3-pin fans to. The Sabertooth Z87 was able to pick up and control all the fans through Fan Expert 2 (AI Suite 3). Hence keeping my system whisper quiet. I was very happy with this.

The Maximus VI Formula has 6(compared to 4 on the Sabertooth Z87) extra fan headers for the case. I hooked up 4 x 3-pin fans to the these headers, but when I use Fan Expert 2 it only shows 3 of the four fans (it also shows the CPU fan). I cannot seem to get the motherboard to pick up the additional fan. My system is now irritatingly loud. Not happy with this at all, especially after spending a good bit extra on this motherboard.

Any ideas??

rdlambe1 wrote:
The Maximus VI Formula has 6(compared to 4 on the Sabertooth Z87) extra fan headers for the case. I hooked up 4 x 3-pin fans to the these headers, but when I use Fan Expert 2 it only shows 3 of the four fans (it also shows the CPU fan). I cannot seem to get the motherboard to pick up the additional fan. My system is now irritatingly loud. Not happy with this at all, especially after spending a good bit extra on this motherboard.
Use 4pin fans on CPU_FAN fan header only, use 3pin fans on CHA_FAN 1 to 4, if one doesnt appear try another header (maybe its faulty), try mulitple headers.

If you are using 4pin PWM fans on the CPU_FAN header, go into the bios, and check that Q-FAN is set to auto, if you are using 3pin fan on the CPU_FAN header change the Q-FAN to advance.

If you can post a screenshot of your fanXpert2, also check with other software, for example HWmonitor just to see if it see the other fan headers, and if you can post both.

HiVizMan
Level 40
if you look in your manual you will see the different fan headers, I am not sure which you have used. But using the AIsutie software you should be able to control them.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

CudaJoe
Level 7
I have the maximus VI formula board. I see that it has 3 Cha_fan headers, 3 Opt_fan headers, a CPU header, and an opt_cpu header.

Now I have 4 fans that I would like to control through AI_suite. Ive determined that AI_suite and Bios can only control those fans that are connected thro the fan headers. I was hoping that if I hooked a fan to Cha_fan 2 and another fan to Opt_fan 2, they would be controlled under the same Cha_fan 2 in AI suite 3. These two fans are to my radiator. Right now what I have going on is one fan always constantly on at high speed (1400rpms) and the other one controlled via AI suite 3. What are my options to get these two fans in sync? a splitter?

The other Chas_fan headers (1 and 3) are being used for the intake and exhaust fan. Water pump is on the CPU_fan.

Another idea, could I put both rad fans on the CPU fan and Opt_CPU??? then have the water pump on one of the Cha_fan or Opt_fan headers? This seems like it may be my best bet.
ASUS ROG Maximus VI Formula mobo
Intel Haswell i5 4670K processor
Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) 1600mhz Vengeance memory
ASUS GTX760 2.0GB GPU
Corsair AX860i PSU
Corsair GT 120GB SSD (OS)
Seagate 1TB SSHD
Corsair Hydro-series H110
ASUS blu-ray
Corsair Obsidian 660D case
NZXT 2m sleeved LEDs (red)

Denoppo
Level 7
I have (4) 4 pin PMW Noctua 140mm case fans that came with splitters and no problem adding 2 case fans per header. My CPU fan is a Prolimatech 2 fan assembly and work well with my Haswell CPU and its associated opt fan. I plan on getting 3 more Noctua case fans for a total of 6 and split out 2 each to each of the Chassis fan headers. Shouldn't be a problem. I am no expert but this is what I have done.

CudaJoe
Level 7
well I played around with different combos and I found out that you can not use AI suite 3 to control any Opt_fans (1, 2, 3), but the cpu_fan and opt_cpu fan headers can both be controlled via AI suite 3. It seems that the Opt_cpu and CPU_fan headers are linked. none of the opt_fan and cha_fan headers are linked (you will end up have 1 fan at 100% power while the over can be controlled).
ASUS ROG Maximus VI Formula mobo
Intel Haswell i5 4670K processor
Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) 1600mhz Vengeance memory
ASUS GTX760 2.0GB GPU
Corsair AX860i PSU
Corsair GT 120GB SSD (OS)
Seagate 1TB SSHD
Corsair Hydro-series H110
ASUS blu-ray
Corsair Obsidian 660D case
NZXT 2m sleeved LEDs (red)

Denoppo
Level 7
After playing around with AI Suite III for 6 months, I have decided to delete the Suite and just go BIOS only - has less conflicts. Getting ready for Star Citizen this Fall.