cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash any / most asus motherboard bios in dos with usb tutorial - intel amd roll back

RaffieKol
Level 10
I AM NOT RESPONSABLE IN ANYWAY IF THIS DAMAGES YOUR MOTHERBOARD THIS IS FOR PEOPLE THAT DONT HAVE FLASHBACK
AND HAVE NO OTHER WAY TO ROLL BACK THEIR BIOS I REMOVED THIS TUTORIAL BUT DECIDED TO PUT IT BACK FOR NOW AFTER ALOT OF PMs

How to flash you Asus Mother Board using a USB

This is for people that want to rollback their bios but EZ Flash wont let them

Example: you are on bios 1001 then you up date to bios 3401 but you decide you want to go back to 1001 because your system was more stable on 1001 but bios 3401 wont let you go back using the flash tools in the bios or windows.

This method uses a tool called AFUDOS.exe to flash your bios in Dos

1st thing to consider make sure u have "American Megatrends Bios"
- To check this in Windows 10 or 8.1 just right-click on the Start button and then choose Run.
- In the Run window or search box, type the following exactly as shown: msinfo32 and push enter or ok
Your System info should pop up and you can see your Bios

2nd thing to consider - THIS IS EASY it may look hard or like alot of steps but its not
Now that you confirmed you have a "American Megatrends Bios" and that its not Brain surgery we can proceed

SOFTWARE and Files that you will need

DOWNLOAD LINK - https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpsaqxahhtccgls/Flash%20Bios%20USB.zip?dl=0
Files needed (included in download above)

- Rufus Format
- AFUDOS.exe (this is software used to flash your bios)
- The files I have included in the "Copy to USB" folder (this is in the download I provide)
- UEFITool.exe (this is to convert your .CAP files to .ROM files)
- And of course your Bios File (this you will need to get from your Motherboards support page)

All of the software and files needed are included in the download link

----- CSM MUST BE ENABLED IN YOUR BIOS IN ORDER FOR THIS TO WORK -----
----- IF YOU HAVE IT DISABLED YOU CAN DISABLE IT AGAIN AFTER YOU FLASH YOUR BIOS -----
----- MAKE SURE YOUR .ROM FILE IS NAMED bios.rom OR IT WONT WORK -----
----- YOU CAN KEEP ON USING THIS USB STICK FOR YOUR MOTHERBOARD OVER AND OVER AGAIN AS LONG AS YOU NAME THE BIOS FILE bios.rom WHEN USING IT WITH THIS USB -----

I was going to write a tutorial but I thought it would be easier to do a video...
68 REPLIES 68

theVatansever
Level 7
although all steps went without any problem, my mobo (ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING) died after flash back..the latest bios version 1105 is a total crap downgrade oc stability, downgrade the clocking speed above 70C etc... never update your mobo with this version.

TeutonJon78
Level 7
Has anyone done rollbacks via the official AMI Aptio V tools? In trying the newest one to go back to Pinnacle-PI ROM from ComboAM4 it complains because of AMD Twin Rom issues not matching. There is very little in the way of documentation for this and their tool. I prefer to use official tools.
2700X - Rog Strix B450-i - g.skill 3200 CL14

TeutonJon78
Level 7
So, this method does work, but people should note some of the downfalls with this and any afu type method.

If you just flash the UEFI file, you will lose your UUID, primary MAC address, and SN that are stored in the flash. Intel ROMs also seem to store some other info as well specific to the board. This will make your Windows potentially deactivate/reactivate due to the loss of UUID. It may have an effect on warranty (depends if they care about the SN being wiped).

If you want to prevent that, you need to make sure you keep those values from a HW info tool or a previously backed-up ROM. You can edit a ROM/CAP file with fd44editor to put those values back into a file before you flash it to make sure you keep them. Even with this tool, there is a second copy of those values in the original flash file that doesn't get restored by the tool -- I have no idea if those are important or not.

https://github.com/LongSoft/FD44Editor
2700X - Rog Strix B450-i - g.skill 3200 CL14

Did not work with my 3700X + B450 I, Tried to downgrade from 2703 to 2501. Follow all the steps exactly. Error message was something like "string could not be loaded". Sigh.

Retired
Not applicable
0th3rs wrote:
Did not work with my 3700X + B450 I, Tried to downgrade from 2703 to 2501. Follow all the steps exactly. Error message was something like "string could not be loaded". Sigh.

and you renamed the bios file you wanted to flash to bios.rom?

follow the steps in the video and don't be sloppy, the tutorial is very easy to understand

Extract and rename the bios you want to flash

Format the USB drive using Rufus, and replace the files on the USB drive, with the files from the ZIP + the extracted bios.rom

It should look like this, then reboot, enter bios and select boot overide, boot from USB drive (non UEFI), then it will automatically update the bios

Complete

Rockford wrote:
and you renamed the bios file you wanted to flash to bios.rom?

follow the steps in the video and don't be sloppy, the tutorial is very easy to understand

Extract and rename the bios you want to flash

Format the USB drive using Rufus, and replace the files on the USB drive, with the files from the ZIP + the extracted bios.rom

It should look like this, then reboot, enter bios and select boot overide, boot from USB drive (non UEFI), then it will automatically update the bios

Complete

I assure you I did exactly what the tutorial said. I formatted my thumbdrive using rufus, extract my CAP and rename to bios.rom, there is honestly NOTHING to be sloppy in his tutorial. It is in fact relatively easy, and he provided every single tool in his dropbox link. The whole flashing process was smooth until the last part, where the error message appear.

I am using a 3700X and the B450-I, it definitely DID NOT WORK for me going from 2703 to 2501. Anyone with the same config I warn you already. Too bad I'm just a guinea pig now with a freaking $150 paper weight, and since my motherboard doesn't have any local warranty and my service center refuse to service anything not purchased from the country. :mad:

I see that many here have success, downgrading their bios while on the Ryzen 2000 and older motherboard.

I have installed a new old-stock Maximus IV Gene-Z with a i7-2600K; I'm running Windows 10.

The BIOS was original, version 0403. So, I flashed -- by complete ignorance -- BIOS 3603, which is specific to XP and Vista. (I did this version because someone mentioned to just update to the latest BIOS, which was this)

The PC runs without a problem; only a few things are missing in the BIOS (e.g., XMP, CSM )

But, it turns out, I needed to install a previous version 3402, which is for Windows 10, according to the ASUS support staff.

I followed OPs directions to the letter and entered BIOS ... but there is no "Launch CMS" in the Boot tab. Perhaps this doesn't exist in this BIOS?

Any help is appreciated.*

Little post just to thank the author of the thread for the guide. I successfully changed bios in a x470-f MB without problems.

Thank you 🙂

Hello, does it work for old non-UEFI mobos like P7P55D EVO? Did anyone try it?
Shoud I use autoexec.bat file or I can just boot from USB and type the command (but I don't know what exectly I need to type - something like "afudos /i[FILENAME] /nr /pbnc" or just "afudos /i[FILENAME]").

I just don't want to brick my motherboard because many people had succeed with that method but many users had troubles also.

And will I get the MAC address and other information stored in the mobo back making the backup of my current bios previously (if something goes wrong?)
Thanks.

If you have a B450F with 4xxx BIOS version, do not follow this guide or you will end with a very expensive brick on your desk.
I just bricked my mobo attempting to downgrade from 4301 to 1103 because I had instability problems with the latest version and ASUS did not allow me to rollback.

Double checked many times all the steps, 100% sure the files were correct. The procedure took about 15-20 seconds to complete, at that time I figured out my board was fried.

Now the system doesn't post, stuck with the yellow DRAM led.

My advices are:
- Think very carefully when you want to update these boards
- Do not buy a board which does not allow native bios downgrade
- Do not buy a board which does not have proper bios recovery features (crashfree bios is NOT one of them)

Just wanted to share my advice. My experience with ASUS ends here. Will swap with another brand's mobo.