cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash any / most asus motherboard bios in dos with usb tutorial - intel amd roll back

RaffieKol
Level 10
I AM NOT RESPONSABLE IN ANYWAY IF THIS DAMAGES YOUR MOTHERBOARD THIS IS FOR PEOPLE THAT DONT HAVE FLASHBACK
AND HAVE NO OTHER WAY TO ROLL BACK THEIR BIOS I REMOVED THIS TUTORIAL BUT DECIDED TO PUT IT BACK FOR NOW AFTER ALOT OF PMs

How to flash you Asus Mother Board using a USB

This is for people that want to rollback their bios but EZ Flash wont let them

Example: you are on bios 1001 then you up date to bios 3401 but you decide you want to go back to 1001 because your system was more stable on 1001 but bios 3401 wont let you go back using the flash tools in the bios or windows.

This method uses a tool called AFUDOS.exe to flash your bios in Dos

1st thing to consider make sure u have "American Megatrends Bios"
- To check this in Windows 10 or 8.1 just right-click on the Start button and then choose Run.
- In the Run window or search box, type the following exactly as shown: msinfo32 and push enter or ok
Your System info should pop up and you can see your Bios

2nd thing to consider - THIS IS EASY it may look hard or like alot of steps but its not
Now that you confirmed you have a "American Megatrends Bios" and that its not Brain surgery we can proceed

SOFTWARE and Files that you will need

DOWNLOAD LINK - https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpsaqxahhtccgls/Flash%20Bios%20USB.zip?dl=0
Files needed (included in download above)

- Rufus Format
- AFUDOS.exe (this is software used to flash your bios)
- The files I have included in the "Copy to USB" folder (this is in the download I provide)
- UEFITool.exe (this is to convert your .CAP files to .ROM files)
- And of course your Bios File (this you will need to get from your Motherboards support page)

All of the software and files needed are included in the download link

----- CSM MUST BE ENABLED IN YOUR BIOS IN ORDER FOR THIS TO WORK -----
----- IF YOU HAVE IT DISABLED YOU CAN DISABLE IT AGAIN AFTER YOU FLASH YOUR BIOS -----
----- MAKE SURE YOUR .ROM FILE IS NAMED bios.rom OR IT WONT WORK -----
----- YOU CAN KEEP ON USING THIS USB STICK FOR YOUR MOTHERBOARD OVER AND OVER AGAIN AS LONG AS YOU NAME THE BIOS FILE bios.rom WHEN USING IT WITH THIS USB -----

I was going to write a tutorial but I thought it would be easier to do a video...
68 REPLIES 68

Pinkyoshi wrote:
Hi, i tried flashing again to a lower version, but it now says bios is write protected. Any idea how to fix?

Same for me. I even tried switching bios chips with older bios. Nothing seems to be working. OP, any way you could update the flash guide for latest bios?

Operation_Nadet
Level 7
My C6H wouldnt update via USB/Internet than i tryed this one. it works great! thank u 4 this!
Mainboard:ASUS +6H
GPU: GTX 1080 Auros Gigabyte
CPU: R5 1600X stock
PSU: Be quiet straight power 10 500W
RAM: Trident Z DDR4 3600 @3,2 Ghz CL16

Updated my B360M-A to the latest BIOS (2012) and impossible to downgrade. Will this guide work for my motherboard?
To anyone using a hackintosh, this BIOS prevents booting Mac OS for some reason?

ASUS support pretty much told me it's impossible to downgrade from this version of BIOS...

H3avyM3tal
Level 9
Wanted to add my thanks! This was the only way I could update the bios of my x99m ws. The bios even recognizes all bios files. Thank you 🙂
3930k - RIVF bios 4102 - 16Gb Corsair Dom GT - GTX970x2 - SS 860W

PunisherR
Level 7
Works with ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
_ASUS ROG STRIX_

darkage
Level 11
works great thanks
b350-f
b450-f
just cant understand how you have so low rep ?
are people lazy?
such a great help, yhanks a lot

Works with B450-I.

- I did not rename my file bios.rom. I left the name at 2301.rom and entered afudos 2301.rom at the command line. I got an out of memory error.
- I renamed the file to bios.rom, rebooted and autoexec.bat flashed the file right from the start.

Yes it works. Did not follow this guide as i did not know it existed. I did however find and use afudos through other channels.
I just had similar issues with my b450-f board after updating. Luckily my keyboard still worked. i was able to downgrade back to 2301 using afudos. You have to create a bootable usb drive using a bootable disk creation tool. I used rufus. then copy afudos and bios 2301 in my case to the drive afterwards. reboot to flash drive. run afudos "bios name" /p /b /n /k /x without the quotes. this will force the previos bios and fix the problems. Or atleast it did in my case. I am back up and running on previous bios version with no issues. I did however use latest version from ami.com site. I also did not have to rename my bios or convert it to .rom i left mine .cap and it worked just fine. I downloaded and used the aptio v version

xSWEDEx
Level 7
RaffieKol wrote:
I AM NOT RESPONSABLE IN ANYWAY IF THIS DAMAGES YOUR MOTHERBOARD THIS IS FOR PEOPLE THAT DONT HAVE FLASHBACK
AND HAVE NO OTHER WAY TO ROLL BACK THEIR BIOS I REMOVED THIS TUTORIAL BUT DECIDED TO PUT IT BACK FOR NOW AFTER ALOT OF PMs

How to flash you Asus Mother Board using a USB

This is for people that want to rollback their bios but EZ Flash wont let them

Example: you are on bios 1001 then you up date to bios 3401 but you decide you want to go back to 1001 because your system was more stable on 1001 but bios 3401 wont let you go back using the flash tools in the bios or windows.

This method uses a tool called AFUDOS.exe to flash your bios in Dos

1st thing to consider make sure u have "American Megatrends Bios"
- To check this in Windows 10 or 8.1 just right-click on the Start button and then choose Run.
- In the Run window or search box, type the following exactly as shown: msinfo32 and push enter or ok
Your System info should pop up and you can see your Bios

2nd thing to consider - THIS IS EASY it may look hard or like alot of steps but its not
Now that you confirmed you have a "American Megatrends Bios" and that its not Brain surgery we can proceed

SOFTWARE and Files that you will need

DOWNLOAD LINK - https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpsaqxahhtccgls/Flash%20Bios%20USB.zip?dl=0
Files needed (included in download above)

- Rufus Format
- AFUDOS.exe (this is software used to flash your bios)
- The files I have included in the "Copy to USB" folder (this is in the download I provide)
- UEFITool.exe (this is to convert your .CAP files to .ROM files)
- And of course your Bios File (this you will need to get from your Motherboards support page)

All of the software and files needed are included in the download link

----- CSM MUST BE ENABLED IN YOUR BIOS IN ORDER FOR THIS TO WORK -----
----- IF YOU HAVE IT DISABLED YOU CAN DISABLE IT AGAIN AFTER YOU FLASH YOUR BIOS -----
----- MAKE SURE YOUR .ROM FILE IS NAMED bios.rom OR IT WONT WORK -----
----- YOU CAN KEEP ON USING THIS USB STICK FOR YOUR MOTHERBOARD OVER AND OVER AGAIN AS LONG AS YOU NAME THE BIOS FILE bios.rom WHEN USING IT WITH THIS USB -----

I was going to write a tutorial but I thought it would be easier to do a video...

Just wanted to say thanks to RaffieKol for this 🙂 My old Z170-E was updated tol latest but som how lost alot fps in games. With this guide i managed to downgrade bios to 2202 without problems.

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks, it worked perfectly

B450-i version 2501->1003

rep+