cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fan behind motherboard

sabah70
Level 7
hey guys,

I know a few of you have added a fan behind the motherboard and I have a couple of questions about that. The coolermaster backplate I use has the corners raised a bit and the smallest fan I have is a 120. it won't lay flat behind the socket but would be offset to the left or right. would this be a problem? do you have the fan blowing air or sucking air? I would think blowing but thought I would ask. last question, are you using sticky tape or rigging it it another way?
Motherboard:
crosshair v fourmula -z
Processor:
fx 8350
Memory
crucial ballistix sport 1600
Graphics Card #1:
xfx r9 290
Storage #1
128gb samsung 840 evo
Storage #2:
wd black 750
CPU Cooler:
nepton 280L
Case:
ethoo pro
Power Supply:
evga supernova 750 g2
9 REPLIES 9

hax0rmort
Level 11
following
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi sabah70:)

I have a small fan mounted as you describe, similar to the pic below, but my processor is the 9590 and it helped a little. 4-5c. I chose a small fan 80mm that would fit and allow room for my case cover. I would not have thought this to be an issue with the 8350, but I suppose it depends on the OC you are chasing and every little bit helps.
I mounted the fan using a quality silicone as I wasn't game to start drilling holes in the MB or backplate (Not advisable) and considering it was a trial to see if it would help to dissipate the heat, It proved its worth, so I left it as is and its been there for 1 year, no probs.
My fan is mounted to suck the heat away and disperse it thru the case. Haven't tried it the other way.

We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

sabah70
Level 7
meanmachine my main issue with heat is not processer so much as just doing some experimenting and such. my biggest heat issue is ambient temps as we moved to a new place and my rig went from a nice cool basement to a second floor room. we probably have between 5-10 swing between the first and second floor with the a/c running. I know my chip is capable of 5.0 at about 1.50 - 1.52 and if I want that everyday I feel like any extra i could provide wouldn't hurt.
Motherboard:
crosshair v fourmula -z
Processor:
fx 8350
Memory
crucial ballistix sport 1600
Graphics Card #1:
xfx r9 290
Storage #1
128gb samsung 840 evo
Storage #2:
wd black 750
CPU Cooler:
nepton 280L
Case:
ethoo pro
Power Supply:
evga supernova 750 g2

sabah70 wrote:
meanmachine my main issue with heat is not processer so much as just doing some experimenting and such. my biggest heat issue is ambient temps as we moved to a new place and my rig went from a nice cool basement to a second floor room. we probably have between 5-10 swing between the first and second floor with the a/c running. I know my chip is capable of 5.0 at about 1.50 - 1.52 and if I want that everyday I feel like any extra i could provide wouldn't hurt.

I looked into something like that a while ago---I think Antec offers an adjustable-mount fan that you can aim at all sorts of things, it apparently clips onto the side of your mobo, and has a desk-lamp style flexible arm to allow you to hit all sorts of weird places on the mobo. Might be what your looking for, if you dont trust yourself to mount a fan like MeanMachine did.

edrak
Level 10
I know that there are some cases that you can mount a fan behind the CPU socket. I have one right now and it is the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra case. I have my fan blowing air out of the case and it seems to work ok, but i am thinking of trying it sucking air into the case and blowing it onto the back of the socket and see if that can help keep the temps down on my 8350 OC'd to 4.8 GHz. I am also using a H100i watercooler with the fans pushing the air out the top of the case, but again I am thinking of having the fans pull fresh air into the case as my ambient temp is about 25 C or around 70 F.

Athus
Level 7
I have made my own case side panel with 2x120 silent fans blowing air inside but i have installed some dust filter on them. They cooling from VRMs to Ram. I think u will have better temps blowing air in rather than pulling air out of the case. Depends on what temps u want to achieve ofc

Korth
Level 14
I've had good experience using an intake fan to cool the backside of the mobo socket/VRMs/DIMMs. In a small case with positive pressure, great cooling as long as airflow across the rads was kept loud and strong. Not sure why, but it always threw off temp readings in two old Gigabyte motherboards, I think their thermal sensor parts were factory-calibrated to make use of airflows I forcibly changed.

It probably won't make a great difference in a larger case unless you can build some sort of compartmented ducting system to keep airflow strong across both sides of the mobo. Simply adding a fan without careful thought will just as likely end up recirculating air around all the mobo edges or making more noise for no reason (because the fan won't be able to move more air into the chassis once it's "pushed" against its own backpressure).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

I have a mounted 140mm fan mounted pushing air into the chassis and motherboard. I installed this about 2 days ago and have had no issues yet.

Korth
Level 14
My old CM690 case ("original" edition!) also provides mounting brackets for a 90mm fan behind the socket. My (AIO watercooled) processor and VRM temps did improve slightly with a chassis intake fan in this bracket, but RAM and GPU and SSD temps also got noticeably worse - cooler air blown directly from outside to the underside of the processor, heated air then sucked by internal airflows over all the motherboard edges and into the rest of the system. I think the fan would be a lot more useful if the two motherboard facings were fully compartmented and the bottom face had intake/exhaust vents (which is not a feature built into my case), probably easier than local air ducting because the mobo dimensions are so large.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]