EZ-Plug possible cause of FF-Code?

badreligion9265
Level 7
Computer Setup:

1. AMD 8350 CPU
2. Noctua DH C-14 HSF
3. ASUS Radeon R9 280X
4. Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard Revision 1.01 BIOS 1602
5. G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
6. CM-STORM TROOPER Computer Case
7.CORSAIR HX-1000W PSU
8. CRUCIAL M500 240GB SSHD.

I recently purchased a Crosshair V Formula Z for my new computer build. Thankfully everything is working great now but it was not an easy road getting to this point. My computer would not post with this motherboard, had a constant FF code in addition to the CPU light being lit. I tested tons of possible causes, not going to walkthough everything I did but it was alot. Eventually I randomly decided I was going to unplug the EZ-plug connector on my board because I didn't think I needed to use it and was all out of ideas and figured what is the harm in trying it.

Well to my amazement after I did that the computer booted perfectly and everything has been running super smooth. But what I can't understand is why the hell that worked. It makes zero sense to me, the manual recommends having it plugged in, I know its for when you plan on using multiple GPU's but either way I know people who have a single GPU setup and have the EZ-plug connector in with no issues what so ever.

So if anyone can please attempt at explaining why this solution worked I would be very thankful. BTW I checked both the EZ-plug pins on the board and the connector slots on the molex connector they were plugged into for signs of damage and or burn marks. They both looked perfectly fine and I have used that same cable from my PSU with the molex connectors on it to power various other hardware with no problems. So I really don't think it has anything to do with a fault in the PSU, or molex connector.
5 REPLIES 5

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi badreligiun9265 and yea that dreaded FF Code.

I have heard stranger things that have caused the FF Code, and why in your instance, removing the EZ Plug fixed it is another strange one.

Sometimes a short or burnt MB component can be the culprit. Have you tried plugging back the EZ-Plug to see if it reoccurs? You shouldn't need it anyhow with just one card.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

badreligion9265
Level 7
I have not tried re-plugging it in out of fear of not being able to get it back to a working state if I experience the same issue. Maybe I will try re-creating the issue once I've I feel up to going through a huge troubleshooting procedure and possibly an RMA.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks for the update mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

badreligion9265
Level 7
Maybe this is a stupid question but on my PSU(Corsair HX1000) there are a total of 10 modular cable outputs. 6 out of those two are black 6 pin connectors which say they are for peripheral and SATA connectors. The other 4, are 8 pin blue colored modular cable connectors which are labeled as PCI-E connectors. Is it possible that I have to use a molex plug which is on a cable connected to the 8 pin blue PCI-E output of the PSU for the EZ-Plug? I don't know a whole lot about PSU's but I do know there are obviously different power/voltage outputs based on which connector is being used on the PSU. So I'm thinking maybe I was using a molex connector which wasn't providing the 12V needed for the EZ plug because it was not coming off of the PCI-E output connectors of my PSU.

badreligion9265 wrote:
Maybe this is a stupid question but on my PSU(Corsair HX1000) there are a total of 10 modular cable outputs. 6 out of those two are black 6 pin connectors which say they are for peripheral and SATA connectors. The other 4, are 8 pin blue colored modular cable connectors which are labeled as PCI-E connectors. Is it possible that I have to use a molex plug which is on a cable connected to the 8 pin blue PCI-E output of the PSU for the EZ-Plug? I don't know a whole lot about PSU's but I do know there are obviously different power/voltage outputs based on which connector is being used on the PSU. So I'm thinking maybe I was using a molex connector which wasn't providing the 12V needed for the EZ plug because it was not coming off of the PCI-E output connectors of my PSU.

Never a stupid question badreligion9265. The EZ plug molex connection is to ensure that the gfx gets enough power when running or utilizing multiple graphics cards. Different graphics cards have different power draws and although it is not necessary to utilize the EZ plug for 1 card, In multiple setups the MB will provide what is required. My EZ plug connector came with my PSU and is a dual molex plug to 6 plug connector cable.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]