cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely high idle temps

JonthePCGuy
Level 7
Hi I'm new to the forums. I have an Asus Rampage IV Extreme (2011) and an i7 3930k proc. Both the cpu and memory are not overclocked. (cpu-z shows clock at 3.5ghz with turbo core turned on) I'll try to make this post as short and as accurate as possible. Roughly 3 weeks ago, I updated my bios from 3602 to 4701 as I was planning on buying an i7 4930k cpu, and bios 4701 apparently supports all of the IB-E chips. The update went fine until I started noticing the cpu temp monitor was getting stuck at 79.0c. By getting stuck, I mean after I power on my computer, the temp rises and then stops at 79.0c exactly. I then tried updating the bios to 4802, but the temps stay the same.

Physically, the system is cool. The only heat I'm feeling is coming out the back exhaust of my GTX 780 graphics cards (the dual fan ones from EVGA). I have a Corsair H100 liquid cooler installed in a HAF 932 full tower with plenty of fans. The cooler feels fine, and doesn't seem to show any indication its failing either. For giggles, I even cleaned off the old thermal grease and reapplied a fresh coating. I ran Core Temp 1.0 RC6 and RealTemps in windows and both register idle temps ranging from 75c to 89c across all 6 cores.

I've tried disabling turbo core as well, but I'm getting the same temps regardless. I would have tried doing a bios flashback, but I forgot to save my old bios to a flash drive. (never thought I'd need to...lesson learned...) Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

my specs:
Asus Rampage IV Extreme -bios 4802
i7 3930k
Corsair H100 cooler
HAF 932 Full tower case
32GB Kingston DDR3 1600
2 x GTX EVGA 780 ACX
Antec 1200 PSU
1 x Samsung 840 Evo 1tb ssd
1 x Seagate 1TB mechanical
402 Views
33 REPLIES 33

Raja
Level 13
Would check the pump is running properly.

JonthePCGuy
Level 7
Checking the pump, I can feel fluid moving through the pipes/cables or whatever they're called. The radiator feels cold, and the fans are moving at roughly 2200 to 2400rpm. If you're familiar with the H100's design, I have it set to the 2nd fan speed. I initially ruled out the cooler, simply because I had just purchased it back in mid October, and because the high temps and bios update coincided with one another.

Also worthy of note: my mainboard temps hover at 23c.

Raja
Level 13
I am somewhat familiar with the H100 design yes. Can't recall if the pump is powered by molex or fan header. If fan header (like some Corsair AIO coolers are), then if the pump is on the wrong header it sometimes spins too slowly hence my initial advice. As you are positive the mounting is perfect, then its a bizarre issue.

Whats the CPU load showing in task manager? SHould be idling, but am wondering if something funky is on your system loading the system when it should not be.

JonthePCGuy
Level 7
CPU usage is at 3% as I'm typing this, with 94% max frequency. Task manager shows 5.52gb memory usage with 17gb on stand by - out of 32GB.

JonthePCGuy wrote:
CPU usage is at 3% as I'm typing this, with 94% max frequency. Task manager shows 5.52gb memory usage with 17gb on stand by - out of 32GB.

did u tried going back on ur last working bios?
Rampage IV Extreme(Red)/ i7 3970x / 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinium 1600 / Asus GTX 780 DCU II- OC SLI / Corsair AX 1200i / Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB /Intel 750 400 GB/ Cooler Master Cosmos II / Corsair H100i

JonthePCGuy
Level 7
Oh sorry I I thought I added that bit of info to my first post. Yes I ran the ez flashback to version 2003 but was still getting the 79c idle temp readout in the bios. Also realized Id forgotten to include my OS. Win 7 x64 Pro.

JonthePCGuy wrote:
Oh sorry I I thought I added that bit of info to my first post. Yes I ran the ez flashback to version 2003 but was still getting the 79c idle temp readout in the bios. Also realized Id forgotten to include my OS. Win 7 x64 Pro.

well that's very odd scenario. i would like to suggest you get a air cooler(intel default) or any aftermarket and see the difference. once long ago i faced this type of odd situation when 2 years back i tried to install artic accelero accelero extreme plus II on a reference gtx 580 board. the spacer came with it was somewhat a bit high for my fit. so,the moment i turn on my pc. whenever i did a windows experience index or any sort of simple loading the temp would go sky high like a rocket & the system fails. later i figured out by letting those spacers go & i was relief. why i am telling you my story? because, this sort of scenario are based on mainly on the following reason:

1. the cpu has loose contact with the h100

solution: try re seat the cooler properly (not to go rough on it). you said "THERMAL GREASE" be advised don't mix it with "THERMAL PASTE" . one is for gpu vram & the other is for cpu cooling.

2. the bios update wasn't successful or in the event of a successful message is shown something goes wrong pretty wrong.(i have highly doubt on this as this will happen like 1 out of 1 million event).

solution: try re flashing the bios with different version. try 4403.i was very comfortable with this one.

3. temps are detecting wrongly via messed up controller in windows environment. try to monitor those temps within the bios & post the result.

solution: try switching header. maybe there is something wrong with the header it self.

i would also like to know if you get shutdown or restart in the event of high rise temperature.

if we can see the inside of your pc that would be much helpful to really understand the scenario in a proper manner.
Rampage IV Extreme(Red)/ i7 3970x / 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinium 1600 / Asus GTX 780 DCU II- OC SLI / Corsair AX 1200i / Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB /Intel 750 400 GB/ Cooler Master Cosmos II / Corsair H100i

RVxSpeed wrote:

1. the cpu has loose contact with the h100

solution: try re seat the cooler properly (not to go rough on it). you said "THERMAL GREASE" be advised don't mix it with "THERMAL PASTE" . one is for gpu vram & the other is for cpu cooling.

2. the bios update wasn't successful or in the event of a successful message is shown something goes wrong pretty wrong.(i have highly doubt on this as this will happen like 1 out of 1 million event).

solution: try re flashing the bios with different version. try 4403.i was very comfortable with this one.

3. temps are detecting wrongly via messed up controller in windows environment. try to monitor those temps within the bios & post the result.

solution: try switching header. maybe there is something wrong with the header it self.

i would also like to know if you get shutdown or restart in the event of high rise temperature.

if we can see the inside of your pc that would be much helpful to really understand the scenario in a proper manner.


Despite the reported temps, the system is stable. I can easily play a game for 3-5 hrs with no issue, or any sign that the system is over-heating. Its odd because the system is set to auto-shutdown at 90c and according to Core Temp and RealTemps its hit that mark several times.

To your earlier point about a faulty temp monitor, how would I even go about addressing something like that?

I tried uploading pics of the system temps, task manager and Resource manager, but every time I do I get an "invalid file type" error, even though the pics are .png image types.

JonthePCGuy wrote:
Despite the reported temps, the system is stable. I can easily play a game for 3-5 hrs with no issue, or any sign that the system is over-heating. Its odd because the system is set to auto-shutdown at 90c and according to Core Temp and RealTemps its hit that mark several times.

To your earlier point about a faulty temp monitor, how would I even go about addressing something like that?

I tried uploading pics of the system temps, task manager and Resource manager, but every time I do I get an "invalid file type" error, even though the pics are .png image types.


90* is quite serious temperature for any liquid cooling solution. as i mentioned earlier try to re seat the cooler again. & bios 2003 is quite old. try the 4403. try saving the image into ".jpg" format.
Rampage IV Extreme(Red)/ i7 3970x / 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinium 1600 / Asus GTX 780 DCU II- OC SLI / Corsair AX 1200i / Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB /Intel 750 400 GB/ Cooler Master Cosmos II / Corsair H100i