cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme 3 board high pitch hum when hot

lobsta21
Level 7
Hello, I have a 2 year old rampage extreme 3 board with a 930 and a mild OC to 3.2. If the temps of the board, at which place I can't find yet go aBOVE 60 degrees C than a hum develops, increasing with heat increase as board works. My temps are gathered from Sapphire Trixx. The noise is not fans, GPU or cpu+ cooler. The hum will increase with heavy use such as gaming. The board is not fixable as I knocked off the esata internal (JBMicron) socket. The broken prongs were trimmed flat and I have had no problem since. This artwork was done 2 years ago when building the rig. So warranty is not available. I would like to solve this as the humm is very annoying and may signal something worse. It's similar to a coil hum but increases with heaT. until now the board has been Sterling and trouble free. 12 gigs of OCZ also have been fine. What are your thoughts, please? Thank You
17 REPLIES 17

Retired
Not applicable
I had this prob on the psu of my hps lamps, i tighten a few screws and it came silent..

When it gets warm (my english dont allow me to continue)..

Vibrations use to be the cause..

I dont know if thats the case, i dont think so

grottslampan wrote:
I had this prob on the psu of my hps lamps, i tighten a few screws and it came silent..

When it gets warm (my english dont allow me to continue)..

Vibrations use to be the cause..

I dont know if thats the case

If the transformer was part of the assembly they can hum a bit and this passes through to the chassis. As can torroids if there is enough DC across the primary (there can sometimes be a couple of volts of DC on the AC mains).

mcj66106
Level 7
Raja@ASUS wrote:
Which caps make audible noise?

I have no idea on that particular board. I was just taking a guess since it is known that caps some times vibrate and make an audible sound.

ACHOS
i7 3930K|Asus RIVE|Dominator GT 2133 x 16GB|GTX580 AC block|Corsair X128|Titanium Fatal1ty|AX1200 and HX1000|CaseLabs M8|HK 3.0 chrome|Win 7

mcj66106 wrote:
I have no idea on that particular board. I was just taking a guess since it is known that caps some times vibrate and make an audible sound.

No, that's inductors. The only time a cap is going to be audibly noisy is if it pops.

I changed the power supply (a seasonic made PC Power cooling 860) to another new 860 from my pile. The ATI 6970 is suspect and was swapped to a Crossfire 5870 setup. And finally all settings were returned to stock. Thanks all. I will live with it as this particular board Rampage 1366 Extreme has given me 0 problems in over 2 years! and I even run RAID 0 from the Marvell 6gbs slots. CTR+M at boot opens up this wonder. Since I damaged it, a warranty is out. Be more careful next time.

Area_66
Level 11
They are no such thing as a Cap winding, We say coil winding and Capacitors Humming but not the one ona motherboard, the ceramic one, and it's low tone hum

they may produce a low pitch hum if the 2 metals plate are touching when they vibrate

Raja
Level 13
There are no "liquid" electrolytics on these boards. Most vendors don't use them any more. Those are known for drying up over time (approx 10% capacity loss per year when run close to rated temps) to the point where they actually present a short. The input/output caps are either MLCC or solid polymer types, if one of those have gone you generally know about it - they seldom just "buldge" on motherboards, but will usually go a lot further and pop nasty (the casing cracks open and it is very evident, they are not scored at the top like liquid electolytics) when passing significant current. Main cause of blowing a solid polymer on the high side is generally excess AC ripple, mostly caused by failing PSUs, and the effects usually result in the cap blowing apart. On the low side the ripple should not be excessive for the rating, if it is, something deeper is amiss with the VRM.

The noise does not come from the caps themselves.

Believe me I get plenty of people "bitching" about hf ringing noises from day one 🙂

=Raja@ASUS;82883]There are no "liquid" electrolytics on these boards. Most vendors don't use them any more. Those are known for drying up over time (approx 10% capacity loss per year when run close to rated temps) to the point where they actually present a short. The input/output caps are either MLCC or solid polymer types, if one of those have gone you generally know about it - they seldom just "buldge" on motherboards, but will usually go a lot further and pop nasty (the casing cracks open and it is very evident, they are not scored at the top like liquid electolytics) when passing significant current. Main cause of blowing a solid polymer on the high side is generally excess AC ripple, mostly caused by failing PSUs, and the effects usually result in the cap blowing apart. On the low side the ripple should not be excessive for the rating, if it is, something deeper is amiss with the VRM.

The noise does not come from the caps themselves.

[QUOTE=Believe me I get plenty of people "bitching" about hf ringing noises from day one 🙂

I have another Crosshair 5 running it's second year quietly. I asked theforumfor opinions, never bitched or slammed Asus. Kinda hurt my feelins, the Intel board arrived with the Micron sata plug in the center of the board broken. I trimmed it and used the board, to this day without it. The board members are very well versed in these premium motherboards, I am learning, never bitched.
[QUOTE=Believe me I get plenty of people "bitching" about hf ringing noises from day one 🙂 or beneath the staff. I could supply more info but will sell my 3 ROG boards that are running, and have all my ROG board orders cancelled. We (my Company) enjoyed pushing these ROG boards. never bitched if one got cooked just don't deal with condescending help desks. I thought selling these boards was encouraged . My humming board will stay humming, thanks for some intelligent opinions, just tired of trolls.