cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme 3 board high pitch hum when hot

lobsta21
Level 7
Hello, I have a 2 year old rampage extreme 3 board with a 930 and a mild OC to 3.2. If the temps of the board, at which place I can't find yet go aBOVE 60 degrees C than a hum develops, increasing with heat increase as board works. My temps are gathered from Sapphire Trixx. The noise is not fans, GPU or cpu+ cooler. The hum will increase with heavy use such as gaming. The board is not fixable as I knocked off the esata internal (JBMicron) socket. The broken prongs were trimmed flat and I have had no problem since. This artwork was done 2 years ago when building the rig. So warranty is not available. I would like to solve this as the humm is very annoying and may signal something worse. It's similar to a coil hum but increases with heaT. until now the board has been Sterling and trouble free. 12 gigs of OCZ also have been fine. What are your thoughts, please? Thank You
17 REPLIES 17

mcj66106
Level 7
Possibly a capacitor?

ACHOS
i7 3930K|Asus RIVE|Dominator GT 2133 x 16GB|GTX580 AC block|Corsair X128|Titanium Fatal1ty|AX1200 and HX1000|CaseLabs M8|HK 3.0 chrome|Win 7

Would heat affect a capacitor in this way? If I keep the board cool, say internet browsing, It's fine. When gaming the hum increases. I'll live with It until I can't. This board is still the same price as 2 years ago.X58 still has some life left in it. I'll get another 1366 socket Asus ROG board. I love my I7 930 that much. Thanks

Raja
Level 13
If it's high pitch, then it's likely the inductors NOT a capacitor. The DCR of the inductors will increase with heat. Some inductors resonate audibly as they pass current and this is likely what you are hearing. Keep them cool as you can to reduce the noise if you find it is related to the CPU VRM. If the noise is coming from the inductors on your GPU or within your PSU, there is little you can do.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
If it's high pitch, then it's likely the inductors NOT a capacitor. The DCR of the inductors will increase with heat. Some inductors resonate audibly as they pass current and this is likely what you are hearing. Keep them cool as you can to reduce the noise if you find it is related to the CPU VRM. If the noise is coming from the inductors on your GPU or within your PSU, there is little you can do.

I believe he said it was a hum. I don't think he said high pitch.

lobsta21 wrote:
Hello, I have a 2 year old rampage extreme 3 board with a 930 and a mild OC to 3.2. If the temps of the board, at which place I can't find yet go aBOVE 60 degrees C than a hum develops, increasing with heat increase as board works. My temps are gathered from Sapphire Trixx. The noise is not fans, GPU or cpu+ cooler. The hum will increase with heavy use such as gaming. The board is not fixable as I knocked off the esata internal (JBMicron) socket. The broken prongs were trimmed flat and I have had no problem since. This artwork was done 2 years ago when building the rig. So warranty is not available. I would like to solve this as the humm is very annoying and may signal something worse. It's similar to a coil hum but increases with heaT. until now the board has been Sterling and trouble free. 12 gigs of OCZ also have been fine. What are your thoughts, please? Thank You

ACHOS
i7 3930K|Asus RIVE|Dominator GT 2133 x 16GB|GTX580 AC block|Corsair X128|Titanium Fatal1ty|AX1200 and HX1000|CaseLabs M8|HK 3.0 chrome|Win 7

mcj66106 wrote:

if it was a cap hum the fans noise will cover it, and again the type of caps use on the board don't hummm

mcj66106 wrote:

You missed the title of his post:

Extreme 3 board high pitch hum when hot

Raja@ASUS wrote:

The high freq pitch is radiated from the inductors due to the failing of the capacitors, which is a common problem with capacitors used in computer gear. Especially with the capacitors which are part of a L/C network that are normally high capacitance with low voltage ratings.
High and quick failure rate is due to high ripple current which turns in to heat all beats the crap out the capacitor. ( Example: Bulging / blown tops of capacitors) As the capacitor fails, the ERS level increases, restricting the flow of current from the Inductor. This is what causes the inductors and/or capacitors to "ring/vibrate/emit sound and even get hotter than normal operating temperatures.
Because Raja, if what you say is true, the OP would of been bitchin about this high freq noise since day one with his RE3. And it is obvious, this is not the case.

mcj66106 stands correct.

mcj66106
Level 7
I was just taking a shot in the dark since I know capacitors can make noise.

ACHOS

Raja
Level 13
Which caps make audible noise?