cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error on first boot always

ryansc864
Level 7
Every time I start the PC for the first time of the day or if i choose to reboot the PC, I always get error 66 which I've read is either a poorly seated CPU or the computer cannot find the OS; however, when I force the machine to shut down then restart it again, it ALWAYS boots fine. I've updated to the latest bios and reseated the RAM and CPU. I just don't understand how it always malfunctions the first time, and then, always preforms perfectly. Is there a solution?
10 REPLIES 10

haihane
Level 13
i noticed you mentioning you overclocking your PC in the other thread.

if i may ask, does it happen like that too on stock speed configuration?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please list all your hardware and what ever OC you do, be it memory or CPU.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I am running an 8350 with an h100i. I have a Toshiba SSD and a WD 4 TB drive. I am using RAM that is not on the QVL from GSKILL but has been reported to be compatible. I have a AMD 7970 graphics card. An NZXT 850w power supply and an NZXT fan controller. I am currently overclocking to 4.7GHz @ 1.4v which has been prime stable for 24 hours. It still happens at stock settings. The only time this does not happen is if I hit the clear cmos button in the back. I have updated the Bios to the latest version and the problem still occurs.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please could you do a clear CMOS then when you have to return to bios with the F1 prompt make no changes and exit without saving in the bios.

Use your system for a few minutes and reset and boot back to OS. Repeat twice please.

Then in OS power down. Reboot, does the q-code return?

This may sound a bit odd what I am asking you to do but I need to work out where in the process (post) the issue is starting from.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Please could you do a clear CMOS then when you have to return to bios with the F1 prompt make no changes and exit without saving in the bios.

Use your system for a few minutes and reset and boot back to OS. Repeat twice please.

Then in OS power down. Reboot, does the q-code return?

This may sound a bit odd what I am asking you to do but I need to work out where in the process (post) the issue is starting from.

After doing as I requested (thank you) where in each step did the code 66 display?

ryansc864
Level 7
Yes, the q-code of 66 always shows up on the first boot, and it still always boots up the second time. I am running complete stock settings now.

ryansc864
Level 7
The q-code always appeared upon reset. It only boots on the first time after a CMOS reset then fails to boot on reset or boot unless previously booted shortly before.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you can not live with this then I suggest RMA. Personally that would drive me nuts.

ryansc864
Level 7
I know this is kinda old, but i figured i'd update this. It's working fine now. Maybe this will give some insight into the situation. I recently installed a known bad RAID set of HDDs into my computer. It displays a SMART error message at start as to be expected. However, as a strange side effect. The computer is running fine now and boots every time perfectly, including restarts. Strangest experience ever. Guess i'll just keep the dead hard drive in here since it fixed the problem with the computer lol.