cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code 55 - Maximus VII Hero

sprete98
Level 7
Hi guys,

I have not been able to boot into my computer today. I got an error code 55. Usually it's the memory or the CPU from googling. I put one stick into the second slot. Same error, I checked the cpu cooler which looked fine but just in case I removed it, cleaned the thermal paste, put new paste and reseated it. Same error. I removed the CPU cooler all together, same error. So I was going to reseat the CPU but when I removed it noticed these marks shown in the attached pics. Am I screwed?
6 REPLIES 6

qUAanA
Level 10
Yes

What are those marks?
Pins look bent on the mobo?*

Puffnstuff
Level 10
I'm looking in the manual and code 55 is memory not installed. What are the status led's on the board dong when you try to power up (see manual section 1.2.7 for explanation)? Do you have any other memory that you can try or is there another system that you can try your sticks in? I also agree that there are 3 pins that seem to be out of alignment on the center right in that socket picture.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

First I would like to thank you for replying, it is really appreciated to get some guidance.

I woke up this morning disgruntled and was going to take a video to show the lights, when I booted it went through ok without a CPU fan now. Link to the video is below. This leads me to believe the memory should be ok at least, I'm assuming. Maybe a CPU issue once it goes through its paces? I'm confused since I did nothing from last night to now. I am at work unfortunately so I can't do anything.

https://youtu.be/C5C06UCwL6s

chevell65
Level 12
I can't for certain see in the pictures but those terminals look more burnt than bent to me.

You can see how the corresponding terminals on the CPU are burnt as well. You don't see this type of damage too often.

Yep would have to agree, looks like it got hot. The cpu looks toast, hard to say about the socket you can check it with a magnifying glass.

Were you doing any overclocking ?

Puffnstuff
Level 10
Yes you gents are correct and shame on me for not looking at the cpu picture. Could this be the product of overvolting?
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932