cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code 36 after BIOS update will not post. Maximus VI Hero

megastarkey
Level 7
I tried updating my bios to 0711 on my 2nd Maximus VI Hero.

The first one had two memory slots fail.

This one has bad stability issues as well. So I updated the bios using USB thumb drive and the new bios on the update page.

Once this was done it stated it needed to reboot. So it did. When it rebooted it went through the codes then it shut off. It automatically rebooted and is now stuck on code 36. I have cleared CMOS by using jumpers and pulling battery. I have done the bios flash back with the old bios. I have tried removing memory and moving those to the black slots and again to the red. I have tried just one stick in each of the 4 memory slots.

I am lost. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Starkey
MEGAStarkey

Intel i7 4770kOC @ 4.6 / 1.25v - Maximus VI Extreme - 16gb Team Xtreem @2400
Gigabyte R9 290x Windforce OC
Intel i7 4670kOC @ 4.2 - ASUS Z97i Plus - 8gb Crucial Ballistix@1600
ASUS 660GTX
AMD FX8350OC @ 4.8 Ghz Stable - Crosshair V Formula-Z -8gb Crucial Ballistix @1600
ASUS 660GTX

3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hey Starkey

Please do this for me.

Remove your motherboard from the case.

Strip the motherboard

This includes the CPU and the battery.

Now clear CMOS

I would use the box as a test bench, and ensure that no power sources are still connected.

leave for a few hours and then build up with CPU, cooler and one stick or ram.

Use the onboard video and only have keyboard and mouse connected - no HDD for now.

Power up and go into bios and check which version is running. I think your first flash did not go to well. Some of the time it will sit at one code for more than 10 minutes mate as it updates the firmware. So just let it be do not power off or clear cmos during the process.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

megastarkey
Level 7
HiVizMan thank you very much for the reply. You are so incredibly helpful on these forums. I have learned a great deal just from read your replies.

I did get this fixed.

1st I would recommend anyone updating to the new bios clear your CMOS BEFORE applying the new update. It took me several tries but, I did get it cleared afterwards.

2nd this board is different from any other I have had. When you flash the bios it may reset, reboot amd show different codes for a few minutes. This is normal. Let it do its thing until windows comes back up fully.

3rd this new bios was great for me. I am finally able to run RealBench again. Thank you ASUS!
MEGAStarkey

Intel i7 4770kOC @ 4.6 / 1.25v - Maximus VI Extreme - 16gb Team Xtreem @2400
Gigabyte R9 290x Windforce OC
Intel i7 4670kOC @ 4.2 - ASUS Z97i Plus - 8gb Crucial Ballistix@1600
ASUS 660GTX
AMD FX8350OC @ 4.8 Ghz Stable - Crosshair V Formula-Z -8gb Crucial Ballistix @1600
ASUS 660GTX

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers mate all that matter is you are sorted.

What you have said about clearing CMOS before flashing BIOS is so true. And something that I forget to tell folks because I think it is so obvious. I will remind myself to remind people of that as it is key.

Thanks and enjoy your system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.