cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXE Errors? RIVE

Tomec
Level 7
Hi all. I'm trying to figure out an issue with my computer that has been plaguing me for awhile. I finally decided to tackle it head on rather than live with it. Finally, after a lot of testing, I think I have it narrowed down... but google is being no help even with the narrowing down, so here I am to ask for help.

First, here is the build itself.

Asus Rampage 4 Extreme
i7 4930k @ 4.4 GHZ (100x44) and 1.30 volt (Just installed tonight)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 16GB 9-9-9-24
Antec "High Current Gamer" 900Watt PSU
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 Ram
Custom Water Cooling with a 3x120 Rad, Swiftech Apogee Block (load temps around 55 max, fresh Arctic Silver 5)

The issue and troubleshooting steps. (TL;DR at end)

The computer will randomly crash. I can also force it to freeze/reset by running Prime95 for between 10-20 minutes. Always in that window it would crash. Sometimes it would just shut itself off and then reboot right away, other times the screen freezes and if I'm playing audio it's stuck on that tone.

To try to narrow down/eliminate things I've run multitudes of tests including Memtest, HCI Memtest, Video card memory test, furmark, checked HDD S.M.A.R.T. (crystal disk info)... all are fine. Computer would boot up just fine also. Mobo sensors all read fine for voltage from PSU.

Well in the interest of tackling it head on, and given that Prime95 is CPU/Ram heavy, having ruled out ram I got a new CPU and put it in tonight. I was using a 3930k before if that matters/helps. At first it booted up just fine, it detected the new CPU and took me to the BIOS to set things up. I set everything up, load into OS. But for some reason the monitor's resolution is all messed up. Video card is acting very weird, EVGA Precision X not seeing it, etc. Thinking a restart will help I shut down and power on the computer. This time it doesn't even boot, it's stuck on debug code 4F.

4F: DXE IPL is started

Ok, never heard of DXE... lets just restart and chalk to random weirdness. Restarts fine. Video card still messed up. I restart a couple more times just fine, and finally fix the video card issue by re-installing the drivers for it. Hoping that the new CPU will have fixed the random freeze thing I load up Prime95 and start it running... about 15-20m later computer shuts itself off and starts rebooting. However it again gets stuck on another error code...

60: DXE Core is started

2 hangs and both on DXE related things? Not random weirdness. Plus I never got these errors on the older 3930k, so maybe the CPU wasn't actually the problem but it's given me a helping hand in finding out the real issue. Now, granted, I'm not 100% sure the voltage/clock speeds are stable as I just put in the new one. But I find it suspect that it froze in the same way and window as the 3930k, which was stable for a long time.

The TL;DR. I've gotten multiple hangups on boot with DXE related errors. I've extensively tested memory (including video), video card, HDDs, all are good. Also just installed a new CPU in an attempt to fix random crashes, that can always be brought on by running Prime95 for about 20m. Crashes just started recently on old CPU, which was stable before.

I've never even heard of DXE before now, and google hasn't been much help. Some people have said it's the mobo, others the ram, others the PSU....

So if anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.
3 REPLIES 3

mrmojorisin
Level 10
Tomec wrote:
Well in the interest of tackling it head on, and given that Prime95 is CPU/Ram heavy, having ruled out ram I got a new CPU and put it in tonight. I was using a 3930k before if that matters/helps.

Some of this will happen If you do not update your chipset drivers (moving from a 3930K to the 4930K is more than a CPU change). Also, did you try troubleshooting with everything at stock settings?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please increase your VCCSA slightly to better manage the memory.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the replies guys. The chipset thing seems to have fixed it... However, I was still having the base issue of randomly freezing up at times, especially under Prime95. I'm pretty sure I used the default/optimized settings also. When I pulled out the CPU to do some inspection of things (based off odd damage I noticed on the last, like some plasticy thing on the connector side) I noticed there were several places on the socket where the pins are actually bent. I'm guessing these could have been causing my issue all along...? Regardless, the whole thing is kind of on hold for a few days now while I figure out what to do. I'll remember the VCCSA though for whatever I do.