Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Graphics Question

robertotaylor
Level 7
I'll start off by posting my current setup:

- Asus Crossblade Ranger Motherboard
- AMD A10-7850K Kaveri APU, Stock CPU Cooler, OC'd to 4.1Ghz
- 24GB AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series RAM (2 x 4GB, 2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 (PC19200)
- XFX HD 7770 Black Edition
- Dual Dell 22" LCD Monitors (One connected through DVI-D, the other through Display port using adapter)
- OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
- Western Digital Green 1TB HDD
- Thermaltake TR2 700W Power Supply
- Rosewill Thor v2 Case
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional
- 55" Vizio LED TV (connected through HDMI)

So I'm thinking about running my system in dual graphics mode. I know that the only two compatible cards at the moment are the R7 240, and R7 250.

I need to have all 3 displays connected to my computer. I use the 55" TV to watch movies, and the dual 22" monitors for gaming and photo editing.

So my question is, will I still be able to run all 3 displays using the dual graphics? If so, will the dual graphics perform better than the HD 7770 that I currently have installed in my system?

Any help answering these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3

X-ROG
Level 15
I *think* the 7770 will be faster.

hax0rmort
Level 11
To answer your first question, yes, you will be able to run three monitors from either setup.

As to your second question, it's not going to make any difference at all really. Yes, technically the 7770 is faster according to this benchmark citing the exact scenario you're looking to compare.

Things to note:

-What is the total VRAM we're dealing with here in both scenarios? You're running three monitors, so I think the edge will most certainly go to whichever setup has the most VRAM. I know i use three monitors also, and it is way more taxing on the GPU then a single monitor, especially while gaming on one while it supports 1080p on the other two.

-Secondly, as you can see on the benchmark review, there is a VERY small advantage given to the 7770. No noticeable difference with those marginal improvements IMO.

-I think it may make a slight difference in fps (very slight) depending on which versions of the 7770 you have versus which model 250 you'd be buying. Either way, see the bottom line below.

BOTTOM LINE: If you already have the 7770 (like u say) then I'd stick with that. NO need to buy a 2nd card when the performance will be exactly the same as what you already have.

-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

jamtech
Level 7

Dual graphics cards have risen to the occasion, collaborating to boost performance, video, and other features over a single graphics card. but there is some proper requirement and setup for using properly . here it is related Article from techradarto    using two graphics cards  . 

jam radar