cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Boot After disabling ASMEDIA Controller In Bios

Off2War
Level 7
Hi all, I recently built a new system and upgraded to an SSD. Reading a few of the posts on this site I learnt that disabling the ASMEDIA controller in bios (ASM1061 Storage Controller) would make the SSD boot even faster. After doing this my system now double boots upon cold start, just wondering if this is normal and if it happens to anyone else after disabling this in the bios?

I have the latest bios version installed and am using the Intel ports on the motherboard

System Specs:
i7 4770k
Gigabyte GTX 770 OC
Asus Maximus VI Hero
G. Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB 1600
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Samsumg 840 Evo
150Gb Raptor HDD (storage)
250Gb Seagate HDD (storage)
Pioneer DVD burner
Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIt
13 REPLIES 13

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound so harsh. I use my pc in the morning for about 30 minutes, but might not get back to it for upto 4 or 5 hours, and it bugs me to leave it on when am not using it, but is not related to any form of trying to save power or anything. I use the same principal with my tv, it's on when I watch, and off when not in use. My systems are connected to their own power boards, so it's easy to just switch off from the wall to shut everything off in one hit, rather than leave them in continual standby.

As for the dreaded double boot, if it's part of the new Z97, then I will have to wear it, unless I try another manufacturer who don't seem to use this weird boot method.
INTEL INSIDE
* Asus Maximus XI Hero * Intel i9 9900K CPU * HyperX 4000MHz Predator RGB 16Gb DDR4 Ram *
* ViewSonic VX3211 32" 4K Monitor * Intel UHD 4K Graphics * Samsung 970 EVO 1Tb NVMe.M2 *
* A-Jazz GTX USB Gaming Mouse * ROG SupremeFX 5.1 Audio * Cougar Vantar RGB USB Keyboard *
* Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Mid Tower Case * Corsair RM1000i Power Supply (100% Modular) *

Off2War
Level 7
Thanks for the quick feedback Pentium4, I'm guessing you have the ASM1061 Storage Controller option DISABLED in the bios also?

I agree with this problem being annoying, made me think there was something seriously wrong with my PC after i disabled it. I'm not to sure if this behavior is bad for the system or hardware in anyway, and have since enabled this feature back in the bios as i don't like the "double boot" behavior, just means my SSD takes a bit longer to boot.

Pentium4
Level 7
Yes, that is correct, it's disabled, but haven't tried enabling yet to see if it helps with the double boot. However, as soon as the Z97 shows up with the new 4790K cpu, am retiring this board anyway, so it's not worth worrying about at this late stage.
INTEL INSIDE
* Asus Maximus XI Hero * Intel i9 9900K CPU * HyperX 4000MHz Predator RGB 16Gb DDR4 Ram *
* ViewSonic VX3211 32" 4K Monitor * Intel UHD 4K Graphics * Samsung 970 EVO 1Tb NVMe.M2 *
* A-Jazz GTX USB Gaming Mouse * ROG SupremeFX 5.1 Audio * Cougar Vantar RGB USB Keyboard *
* Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Mid Tower Case * Corsair RM1000i Power Supply (100% Modular) *

RoGHoliday
Level 9
It's normal according to Asus. http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1006789/