cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair v uefi rebooting not able to be in bios for more than a couple of mins help

Retired
Not applicable
I just got my crosshair v, and was too eager to checkout uefi bios so this is what I did.*

Before I get into that, here is my comp configuration.*

CPU amd phenom x6 1100t black edition
Ram corsair vengeance 4gb x 2 1600 MHz DDR3 (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9)
OCZ Agility 120GB SATA III 2.5inch SSD (AGT3-25SAT3-120G)
PSU antec high current gamer 900w
CPU cooler corsair h80 (push pull config cold air into case)*
Asus Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5 (EAH6870-2DI2S-1GD5) x 2 (crossfire x)
Case antec Titan 650 ( I have installed 3 120mm fans on the side panel and one 120mm fan on top, saving up to buy antec lanboy air)

Coming back, this is what I did.*

I have all the above except for graphics cards and ssd(They are in transit), so installed all of these and an old xfx nvidia 7800 256mb DDR3 pci ex card which I found in a old machine.*

I connected the 8 pin CPU power cable, the 24pin cable and also powered the molex connector on the board, did not connect the other 4pin CPU power socket also I did not connect any boot device no hd or dvdrom, just the ps2 keyboard and a USB mouse and the 6pin for the graphics card.*

Powered up the machine for the first boot, got the single beep and entered the bios to my surprise the CPU was running at 3.834 ghz so I started to explore the bios went to the monitor option and suddenly the system rebooted and kept rebooting. I was in bios only for a min or so.*

On the second try the same thing. Held the power button and switched off the system.*

I used the clear CMOS button, now the CPU was at 3.332 ghz. I could not find out the voltage as the system rebooted again. So I then took a look at the CPU voltminder LEDs and it was yellow. All the time. NB,SB and ram LEDs are green.*

I removed the CMOS battery, put it back after a min or so no change. CPU at 3.323 ghz voltminder led still yellow after a min the system rebooted.*

All this time the ram was at 1333 MHz.*

I just can't be in bios for longer than a minute the board reboots. I enter bios again after a min reboot. I don't have time to navigate to different menus, by the time I do that the board would have rebooted. There was nothing i could do to stop this, all that i could do was to hold down the power button and shut the board down. Power it up the same issue.*

In order to make the CPU voltminder led green I have to reduce the voltage. I am not in the bios long enough to do that,the system would have rebooted.*

In case of Q LEDs only boot device led is lit which is obvious as I don't have any boot device installed.

In one of the many tries I was in the bios long enough ( 2 mins max I guess)this was before i used the clear cmos button and the cpu was at 3.834 ghz and Was able to see what the temperature of CPU was and it was at 46c.

What is happening?

How do I bring down the voltage and make the CPU voltminder led green? How do I do this if I am not in bios for some time to make these changes?

Why is this happening?

Am I doing something wrong?*

On the very first boot(the board was just out of the box)why was the CPU overclocked?

Why was nothing at stock in the first boot?

Will a bios flash help?

Can I flash the bios without entering EZ flash, as I am not able to stay in the uefi bios long enough to go to EZ flash under the tools tab.

Please Help!!!!!!!!

Thx for reading this awfully long post.
11 REPLIES 11

Raja
Level 13
Check the OC button at the lower edge of the board is not "on", if it is on it will overclock the CPU.

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
Thx Raja, will check it out this weekend, with all the parts, my graphics card and ssd would have arrived.

Will let you know how it goes.

Retired
Not applicable
Also, is it nessary to connect the second 4 pin CPU power. I am using the 8 pin currently.

Neonbeast wrote:
Also, is it nessary to connect the second 4 pin CPU power. I am using the 8 pin currently.
Ya, if your talkin about the 4pin molex though... thats only really used if your OC'ing since it's used to supply more power to the board for stability as I understand it.
MyU2Sig.com Gen Status: - Total unique user count:

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

Retired
Not applicable
No not the molex, in the manual it tells 4 pin molex for sli on crossfire x configs, I am talking about the 4 pin CPU connector on top right of the cpu socket.

Praz
Level 13
The additional 4 pin +12V EPS connector is not needed for Thuban processors. Using just the 8 pin connector is fine.

Neonbeast,

I actually had a very similar problem. For me it was that the pump on my h70 had gone bad so I was quickly hitting my thermal limit and the computer would then shut off. Next time you get into the BIOS go to the monitor screen and see if your temps are constantly rising. If they are, than that is the problem.

-Shannon
MB:Crosshair V CPU:1090T@4.1 Memory:16GB Corsair Vengeance@1600 GPU:2x5970@850Core 1100Mem PSU:Corsair Pro Series Gold 1200
Storage:OS Drive 90GB Vertex 2 Games:160GB Agility 2 Pagefile\Temp:16GB Kingston Storage: 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda
Case: LIAN LI PC-A71F Monitors:26" Westinghouse and 24" HP both @1920X1200

Retired
Not applicable
Shannon,

Thx for the tip I am sure it will help me in the future if and when my h80 goes bad, it will be the first thing I will check. Reboots were occurring because the OC button was on. I did not realize that the board was OCing and it would stop rebooting when it reaches a stable OCed state.

Neonbeast

Retired
Not applicable
@Raja

Thx,Raja, you were right it was the OC button. System stable. Everything back to stock.

Neonbeast