cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z random freeze with AA Q-Code

Llanilek
Level 7
Hey guys! first post here, nice to meet you all!

I'm having a little trouble with my first PC build. Everything seems to be running fine until I get a random freeze which locks up the PC totally. Looking at the Q-Code It's displaying AA.

My build:

Crosshair V Formula-Z
AMD FX-9590
MSI GeForce GTX 970
Corsair CW850 PSU

http://valid.canardpc.com/tsxxtw

I can't always replicate the freeze, It happens at any point. I've connected all the modular cables required, the only ones left are two 4 pin molex connectors which I believe to be spare.

I originally thought that the freezes were because of when I was playing games, however even when on the BIOS screen it still locks up. Also it locks up randomly without warning even when idle. I'm using the 8 pin CPU EATX12v PSU cable. Someone has advised me to go and buy a 4 pin EATX12V cable too, but before I do that, I'd like to explore my options and see what you guys think might be causing these crashes. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks! and hello again!

Edit: CPU temp is idling around 40 degrees C, and doesn't spike before the freeze occurs.
6 REPLIES 6

hax0rmort
Level 11
Hello user.

What is your CPU cooler? The 'AA' code is a normal running code that shows always when windows is running. Your computer is freezing/crashing before it even errors. I'm thinking you're CPU is too hot. Again, what is your cooler? 40C idle is a little warm. If you go from idle-->load your temp can rise in a split second to 60,70,80C without adequate cooling. That could be the issue. Please post more system info.
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Llanilek and Welcome to ROG 😉

Qcode AA means a successful transition to ACPI mode, so no problem there. (It means POST has handed over to your OS)
Your temps at idle are high and should be 10-15c above ambient room temperature.

You should conduct a stress test at stock frequency 4.7GHz, whilst monitoring temperature to ensure stability.
Use prime95 or Realbench to stress your CPU. CoreTemp or HWmonitor for constant temperature monitoring.
List the exact Corsair DIMMs you are using in your profile.
Ensure the 4pin socket is populated on the MB to assist the CPU. the advice given is correct.
The 4pin EZ plug is not necessary, unless you intend a dual GPU configuration.
Go into your Bios and set for D.O.C.P in your Ai Overclock tuner, to allow Bios to initially configure bus and ratio parameters in conjunction with the DIMMs you are using. Leave all other settings on Auto and do not make any arbitrary changes.
Once stability is achieved, you can tune for performance and recommendations will be given.

Please report back with results.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Llanilek
Level 7
My bad,

I'm cooling with the Corsair H100i and after a few more tests the CPU is idling at 32 degrees. I'll run some stress tests now, however after running a 3d render at full CPU the temps never got over 51 degrees at load. I'll post with more details after the tests.

chris635
Level 7
Disable c6 state for the cpu, and ecc mode for your memory in the bios. This should fix you up.
Chris...Have a nice day.

Llanilek
Level 7
Thanks for the post Chris! That stabilized everything so far. I think I should be good to go now!

Thank you all for your assistance.

Llanilek wrote:
Thanks for the post Chris! That stabilized everything so far. I think I should be good to go now!

Thank you all for your assistance.

Great to hear! Good luck.
Chris...Have a nice day.