cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula Z Initial Setup and Installs

glenquagmire
Level 7
Hey guys, new ROG MOBO owner. I have been looking for some assistance with the initial program installs and setup advice, prior to OC'ing and gaming.

Ok so I will download the newest versions. Now as far as download the newest versions, in what subcategories? Below are all the subcategories. I have already DL Catalyst 13.11.

This is all from the ASUS Website: (please let me know if there is something I should use, not use, delete, etc....)
-Qualified Vendor List
-Hotfix
-BIOS (I just flashed 1503 BIOS; Newest)
-BIOS Utility
-Chipset
-Audio (I just installed Realtek Audio Driver V5.10.0.6699 for Windows XP 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6699 for Windows Vista/7/8 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL))
-LAN (I just installed Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V17.3.0.0 for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
-USB (I just installed Asmedia USB 3.0 Driver V1.14.3.0 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit---(WHQL).)
-Utilities
-SATA

I dont want a bunch of bloat or programs where there are better alternatives. So, with much of your experiences, what should I be installing and what programs should I really not be installing?
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, glenquagmire.

What I do is look in the Device Manager and only install the drivers that are unknown. I refuse to install any Windows updates, hotfixes or any bloatware.

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forums, glenquagmire.

What I do is look in the Device Manager and only install the drivers that are unknown. I refuse to install any Windows updates, hotfixes or any bloatware.

Thanks but I am just referring to Asus and Crosshair downloads. Like all the drivers and AI Suites and all that stuff. There are a lot of needed downloads for the mobo and some that are completely not needed or in some cases there are just better programs to use.

see this link and what I am talking about. See drivers and cpu support.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/#support

Chino
Level 15
The Chipset and SATA drivers are the only ones remaining that you'd need to install.

I'd say no to the Hotfix, no to the BIOS utilities, and no to any of the Utitlies. But you can install the Windows 7 ROG theme if you wish.

Chino wrote:
The Chipset and SATA drivers are the only ones remaining that you'd need to install.

I'd say no to the Hotfix, no to the BIOS utilities, and no to any of the Utitlies. But you can install the Windows 7 ROG theme if you wish.

I have already installed Catalyst BETA 13.11. Does that take care of the chipset?

Also, I am not going to RAID. Do I still download the latest version SATA? Does the latest version also include all prior versions?

Here is what I have so far:
-Qualified Vendor List
-Hotfix
-BIOS (I just flashed 1503 BIOS; Newest)
-BIOS Utility
-Chipset
-Audio (I just installed Realtek Audio Driver V5.10.0.6699 for Windows XP 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6699 for Windows Vista/7/8 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL))
-LAN (I just installed Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V17.3.0.0 for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
-USB (I just installed Asmedia USB 3.0 Driver V1.14.3.0 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit---(WHQL).)
-Utilities
-SATA

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
In that case, just install the Asmedia SATA Controller. Use the latest version.

Great thanks.

As far as what programs would you recommend to use for OC'ing the CPU and stuff as well as OC'ing Gigabyte 7950 Windforce Crossfire?

Chino
Level 15
For overclocking the CPU, everything is done within the BIOS. All you need is a program to monitor your temperatures while in Windows and a program like CPU-Z to verify that the overlock is being done correctly. I'm found of HWMonitor but you can use any alternative you like, of course.

Regarding the GPU, you'd want something like GPU-Z to monitor you temperatures. To do the overclocking, you can use MSI's Afterburner or Asus's GPU Tweak.

What OS are you installing? If it is Windows 8, then really there is no drivers required, only unless you want to use the manufacture drivers. Remember Windows 8.1 will have a large device database.

Minimum AMD/ATI 13.9
Corsair 760T
Asus Formula Z
AMD FX 9370
Corsair H110
Kinston Beast 2400Mhz 2x8GB
Sapphire Vapor-X 290X 8GB
5xSandisk Ultra II 120GB
EVGA Supernova G2 1000
Benq BL3200BT 32" QHD
Corsair K70
Corsair M65
Corsair H2100

D_V_D
Level 7
Chino wrote:
But you can install the Windows 7 ROG theme if you wish.
There is a Win7 ROG Theme for windows OR you were referring to the CPU-Z theme?
MB = Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z info
CPU = AMD Fx-8350 Bios 2101info
RAM = Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2x8Gb) 2133 KHX21C11T3K2/16X info
GPU = Asus GTX 980 Matrix Platinum info
SSD = Kingston HyperX 3K 240Gb
HDD = WD 500Gb +WD 3x1TB(fzex)
PSU = Corsair AX760i info
CPU Cooler = Thermaltake Nic C4
Display = Sony KDL-32w706b info
Mouse = A4Tech Bloody Gun3 V7
Keyboard = SteelSeries APEX info