cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-z + FX-9590, APM Question.

Napsterbater
Level 7
Now I know APM's job is to allow the processor to boost and throttle cores based on utilization and a few other factors one of them being heat.

I have a FX-9590 with turbo on and APM on auto and I noticed that while running a prime95 blended torture test that the processor is fluctuating most/all of the cores to run at 4.5ghz a lot of the time even though temps are within reason.

AS you can see in the attached picture Socket temp is 47C and Core Temp is 35.6C

If I enable HPC in the BIOS, I seem keep them at 4.7ghz under load to lose boosting to 5ghz.

Is this "Normal" or is there away to convince it to keep them all at 4.7ghz under full load.
8 REPLIES 8

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Napsterbater and welcome to ROG.

Your APM on auto is ok and fluctuations in prime95 are normal imo.Temps @ ambient should be around 22-26c and look good under load with your current settings..

Prime95 is a harsh tester as it increases stress on each pass. I have used it but for no longer than 1 or 2 passes just to establish initial stability.

I use HWBot and ROG Realbench if you want to benchmark your system.

Not sure why you would want to fix your frequency @ stock 4.7GHz as your temps look fine.

As you probably know, you can change settings and key in static values in the Extreme Tweaker section of your Bios.

Once you become familiar with these settings and if you wish to OC and have a specific problem, Just ask

Isn't that FX-9590 a beast of a CPU. Im certainly glad I got mine and have a stable 24/7 OC @ 5.2GHz. You can easily attain 5.5GHz but your VRMs will rise to over 85c within 1 min if you don't have sufficient cooling.

Its always best to post your full system specs for better analysis.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Napsterbater
Level 7
I don't want to necessarily lock it to 4.7ghz as I like the boost to 5ghz, just would like to keep it from drooping to 4.5ghz under load.

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7GHz
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR H100i
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) Rated for 2400mhz, running at 2133mhz for stability.
GFX Card: AMD r9 290x (ASUS R9290X-DC2OC-4GD5)
HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB in RAID 0

I wouldn't mind getting it to a higher 24/7 clock though.

MeanMachine
Level 13
OK then Napsterbater then first familiarize yourself with your Bios and only make changes to settings in the Bios and not in Windows.

Its a little daunting at first and I don't know what level you are at, but there are some great tutorials here to help.

First save a profile in your Bios should things go belly up, you are then able to select the last good profile.
Make changes to frequency and voltage settings in small steps at a time, then save a profile, reboot into windows and do a small 10 min stress test using Prime95 or HWBot.

If you don't have them these are some of the tools you will need:
Download: CoreTemp and its Grapher plugin to monitor your core temps. ROG cpuz for specs and Dimm settings. ROG Realbench for benchmarking.

Good Luck and Happy OCing.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

HiVizMan
Level 40
Trying to recal if the boost to 5GHz is for all cores or only single core? Will check that.

You have a nice CPU there some I have seen a way hotter than yours.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

It will only boost a few cores to 5ghz if/when some are idled to 1.4ghz.

But it also seems to drop all cores down to 4.5ghz under extreme load (at least on my system).

Napsterbater wrote:
It will only boost a few cores to 5ghz if/when some are idled to 1.4ghz.

But it also seems to drop all cores down to 4.5ghz under extreme load (at least on my system).

i own a FX-8350 (not FX 9590 like yours), but if i remember it correctly, AMD's Turbo core technology allows for short bursts of speed in one or more of their cores. for mine it boosts some of my core(s) into 4.2 GHz frequency.

when i fire up prime95 however, all cores stay clocked at 4 GHz. i think (without additional verification at the time of writing this down) that turbo core seems to activate during single threading intensive application.

additionally i went to dig a little bit information about it (just to verify), and:
- AMD's turbo core technology.
- Your FX-9590 specs.

whats weird is that your cpu should stabilize at 4.7 GHz instead of 4.5 GHz during extreme testing. i have no idea what could be causing it though.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Napsterbater wrote:
Here is my realbench.

http://rog.asus.com/realbench/show_comment.php?id=3411

Well done Napsterbater, Your first Realbench score and welcome to the club.

You can improve by comparing with others and your scores will improve when all cores are utilized and frequencies set to 5.2Ghz, Good first try. It also helps by making sure all unnecessary background programs are not running.

You can find your scores that are saved in the Realbench Dir where you installed it. Of course it will have the extension .rbr.
You can open it,and if windows says to select the program because it can't open it, select the RealBench.exe in the RealBench Dir again where it is installed.

This was my first attempt, showing a comparison with a much better score:38164

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]