cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z EZ BIOS Update Failed - Warning BIOS Recovery

KnightDaemon
Level 7
Hello,

So I have been searching this forum since yesterday, and I have found issues and resolutions similar to my issue, but I cannot get the resolutions to work.

I attempted to update the BIOS on my MB using the EZ Update software. It got to 100% and then froze copletly, and then popped up "Program not responding force close, etc".

So I did, and continued about my day, but when I rebooted the system immediately goes to:

"Warning: Bios recovery mode has been detected. Please pu the file "C5FZ.cap" into HDD or a removable USB media device and then reset your computer. You can also insert the ASUS support cd to your cd-rom and reset your computer. If you have done these things, plese wait a moment and downt shutdown system!!!"

I have downloaded the BIOS from the ASUS site (I have tried both the most recent, and the one that I had running), and renamed it as above. I put it on th root of a 4 gig pen drive (FAT32) and stuck it in the PC. Hit the RESET button on the MB and it "reboots" but just sits at a black screen for several minutes, and then shuts off.

I have tried using the ASUS DVD that came with the MB (the one that says support and has all the drivers on it), same result, just a black screen.

I also pulled the CMOS battery and discharged the board, and waited about an hour or two, same result.

Can anyone help here, or is my board dead?
3 REPLIES 3

KnightDaemon
Level 7
I don't want to seem impatient but does no one have any answers?

I kinda need to get this machine back up and running and don't exactly have the funds to buy another motherboard.

KnightDaemon
Level 7
Ok, for anyone that may come across this problem themselves; after finding the manual for my board, I found the specifics that were missing. Apparently there is 1 USB that you MUST use, and then a button to press to make it load the BIOS back into the board.

Here are the instructions from the manual:

To use USB BIOS Flashback:
1. Download the latest BIOS file from the ASUS website
2. Extract and rename the BIOS image file to C5FZ.CAP.
3. Copy C5FZ.CAP to the root directory of the USB flash disk drive.
4. Turn off the system and insert the USB storage device to the ROG Connect port.
5. Press the ROG Connect button and release when a flashing light appears, which indicates that the BIOS Flashback function is enabled.
6. Wait until the light goes out, indicating that the BIOS updating process is completed.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Good to hear you got this sorted. The included user manual is normally a valuable resource both before and during any encountered crisis.