cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V formula z code 66

cascross123
Level 7
Need help.
Brand new build, using the Crosshair V board. started up and there is no screen output. I am presented with error code 66.
Have tried a single stick of ram in all 4 slots, and have had it tested in another pc using the same board and CPU to make sure the ram works.
Any further suggestions?

Specs:
Crosshair V formula-z Motherboard
AMD FX8320 CPU
Crucial Ballistix BLS2C4G3D169DS3CEU RAM 2x4GB
Sapphire AMD r9280 GPU
Corsair RM850 gold PSU
4 REPLIES 4

CG-88
Level 7
error code 66 is related to the RAM.

So you have tried a single stick in all four slots and tested in another motherboard.

Is the RAM on the approved vendor list? Not that it matters as mine isn't lol

If the RAM works on another board, I would almost be tempted to RMA the board :S

cascross123
Level 7
Yeah I've tried the ram in another board, and it isn't on the approved vendor list but have tried some other ram that is, and that didn't work either.
I think next step would be an RMA on the board

So got another board from Amazon, still having the same error, Please help me, at a total loss as to what the issue is 😕

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi cascross123 Just a little more insight.

"Driver Execution Environment (DXE) Phase. There are several components in the DXE phase and it is where most of the system initialization is performed. The Dxe Core produces a set of Boot Services, Runtime Services, and DXE Services.

The Dxe Core is composed of boot services code, so no code from the Dxe Core itself is allowed to persist into the OS runtime environment. Only the runtime data structures allocated by the Dxe Core and services and data structured produced by runtime DXE drivers are allowed to persist into the OS runtime environment."
These components work together to initialize the platform and provide the services required to boot an operating system. The DXE phase and Boot Device Selection (BDS) phases work together to establish consoles and attempt the booting of operating systems. The DXE phase is terminated when an operating system is successfully booted.

Although Qcode 66 is usually related to the DIMMs you are using, I would try to flash your Bios to the latest and although you have tested your DIMMs in another MB , they are not listed on the QVL and therefore not tested in conjunction with your MB. Therefore they may or may not work.

Sometimes contamination within the slots or on the DIMMs themselves can cause this error.
Recommend you clean these components with alcohol and make sure the DIMMs are seated correctly.
Prior to RMA I would also try another set of QVL listed Dimms to try.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]