cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula (Thunderbolt)

Gerkie
Level 7
Hi Everyone,

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I am now out of logical options to try.

I have a Crosshair V Formula (Thunderbolt). Since the thunderbolt card is no longer supported - I have removed it.

I am running a Strix R9390X, with 16GB Kingston ValueRam, AMD 8320 CPU, Dlink PCI Wireless adapter, Corsair H60 Water cooler,
and Corsair Air 540 Case with 5 AF140 Fans. HDDs are OCZ Arc 100 480GB and 2TB Seagate Desktop HDD.

System is definitely not overheating. And the problem even happens under minimal load.

Running Windows 10 Pro, and the system randomly freezes up. Hard reboot required. No BSOD or auto reboot happening.
No error logs in event viewer.

I have tried the AMD Sata Controller Driver update, DLink driver update, Crimson update, Windows updates are all up to date.

Does anyone know of an incompatibility with this motherboard and Windows 10 perhaps. I had no issues under Windows 7 Pro.

I have noticed the easiest way to recreate the freeze is to open Firefox and open lots of tabs loading lots of data simultaneously.

As mentioned I am now out of options. Even looked at replacing my board with the Formula-Z, but since I am not sure that would
even solve the problem, I have put that plan on hold.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Gerkie
5 REPLIES 5

Gerkie
Level 7
Looks like everyone is as stumped as I am 😛

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Gerkie and Welcome to ROG 😉

A plethora of things can cause a shutdown or system freeze as you described.
You may be having stability issues, so before a true assessment can be made, these questions should be answered.

1. What version Bios are you on? (1703 is latest).
2. Have you OCed your CPU and what changes (if any) to Bios settings have you made?
3. Has a stress test under load been done and method used?
4. Please list the exact spec of your DIMMs.
5. Have you done an SFC /Sannnow on your W10 system files?
6. What is the condition of your PSU?. Has it been tested?

Please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Thanks MeanMachine,

So looks like I found the problem.

Replaced the SSD with a standard Seagate HDD and reinstalled Windows 10 again. No Problems for 3 days and counting.

The SSD is still under warrantee so will try for a swap out, but wonder if that will fix the problem. The OCZ SSD Guru program does not pick up any errors, so I'm still curious if its an incompatibility rather than an actual hardware fault.

Just in answer to your recommendations - my BIOS is on the latest version (although that version is quite old and there isnt a newer one).
I havent tested the PSU, but since the problem is not occuring using the std hdd I doubt there is anything wrong with it...
The Bios settings are all fairly normal. No specific overclocking exscept for the CPU level up that was applied.
The Ram is KVR1333D3N9/4G (Four of these)
I used to Run Corsair Dominator and Vengeance chips - but they went faulty - they have lifetime warrantees too but havent gotten round to RMA yet.
I have not run any stress tests yet, and since the windows installs were both fresh installs of no older than a week I just assumed the system files would all be ok.

Thanks again for the time taken to assist. I really do appreciate it.

Regards,
Gerkie

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Gerkie and thanks for reporting back.;)

Glad to here you have it sorted, however its a shame you had to resort to using a HDD being slower and all. can't think of and doubt it was an incompatibility issue and determining if its a fault would a good idea.
Also bear in mind that mixing DIMM kits, even of the same spec can cause issues. assuming you have 16GB 4x4 kits as I understand.
Personally myself, I would have RMAed the Corsair Dominators with a new set. No downtime as they will pre-ship to you. Just run Memtest 86+ and tell Corsair that they failed the test.
I also run Dominators and Vengience and on occasion have had to RMA, without any problems.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Hi Everyone,

If there is anyone out there monitoring this thread experiencing a similar problem...

So turns out it was not caused by the hard drive either. At this point its actually pointing towards the on-board sound card's drivers. I downloaded the latest version from the ASUS support website and *touch wood* so far everything seems to be stable.

Inside the installer package there is something called "nohotfix" with its own installer. I used that installer and for now all seems good. The main driver installer, and even the installer directly from Realtek seems to be giving me issues.

If this changes I will update you again.

Regards,
Gerrit