cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crosshair V formula ssd compatibility

Calin
Level 7
Just bought a patriot blast 240gb ssd. And for some reason I cannot create a system partition and instal win 7 on it. I get a warning when I try to create the partition from the windows setup saying this hardware may not support booting or whatever. Of course all bios are ahci for sata ports and I have the latest bios. I checked my mainboard's support page and noticed there's an ssd compatibility pdf; wtf?! are those models the only ones that are supported by my mainboard?! Is this why I was having problems with my ssd?!
8 REPLIES 8

hax0rmort
Level 11
there is absolutely no compatibility issue between your Patriot SSD and your CVF. You must be having some kind of existing partition error or something else going on with your drive.

To help, try the following, remove all other drives from the system and simply try to install the OS (which is what version?) on the Patriot SSD. You said you ensured all SATA ports were AHCI correct? (for best performance)

Again, there is nothing wrong with the hardware you have unless it in itself is somehow flawed.

Try this also, Do not "create" the partition at all. Simply delete all existing partitions off of the device and hit next. As long as you booted into setup via UEFI, you do not have anything else to worry about. It will take care of everything itself (create and format the partition).

Good luck
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

hax0rmort wrote:
there is absolutely no compatibility issue between your Patriot SSD and your CVF. You must be having some kind of existing partition error or something else going on with your drive.

To help, try the following, remove all other drives from the system and simply try to install the OS (which is what version?) on the Patriot SSD. You said you ensured all SATA ports were AHCI correct? (for best performance)

Again, there is nothing wrong with the hardware you have unless it in itself is somehow flawed.

Try this also, Do not "create" the partition at all. Simply delete all existing partitions off of the device and hit next. As long as you booted into setup via UEFI, you do not have anything else to worry about. It will take care of everything itself (create and format the partition).

Good luck

already tried with just the patriot blast into the system. BIOS is set to AHCI by default btw; in the windows 7 setup i couldn't select the ssd as a designated partition to instal because it had an error (windows cannot be instaled on this hardware or something like that) and i couldn't change the unnallocated space into a partition (it would post an error message when i tried); i ended up reinstaling windows on the old WD hdd with no problems and returning the ssd. i am about to buy a kingston ssd and see how that one goes

I had a similar problem at one time (until I installed Win8), and it had something to do with the installer booting from the installation medium using legacy drivers instead of UEFI.

When booting, I pressed F8 (I think) to open the boot menu, and then I manually selected UEFI: USB Windows install etc... (the menu showed two entries for the installer - they were identical except for the "UEFI: " prefix)

Z

EDIT: Also, make sure the SSD is shown as "Disk 0" and not "Disk 1" or something. I think there was something about that too.

For what it is worth, The Crosshair V Formula Z runs perfectly with SeaGate Hybrid SSHD drives. I am getting near SSD speeds on my most used programs with the storage capacity of a 2TB 7200RPM HDD. Maybe others will consider this type of drive more often than using a SSD only or a HDD only storage system.
誰もがここで私の脳で、待つのか? 😛
裸野に身に:o
http://valid.x86.fr/tnjisw
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/16/05/28/5qk.png

Pam_Wolf
Level 7
Hi guys!

Please, I need your help about which SSD I can use on my mainboard Crosshair V Formula, as C:\.
I like Samsung EVO 1TB SATA III internal SSD.
Can I put or use in my MB an external SSD, if i decide to buy it?
And as a D:\ hard drive, I have the doubt to choose between an Hybrid Unit or a Western Digital NAS Hard Drive.

Thank you so much for helping me in this 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
You can use the Samsung anyplace you like with that board.

I have also used the Samsung as an external drive in a cheap caddy.

Not sure I fully understood the last part of your question.

Bulk Data drives can again be any drive you like. I have a couple of 6TB drives I use. Think they are WD or might be Seagate I can't recall
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
You can use the Samsung anyplace you like with that board.

I have also used the Samsung as an external drive in a cheap caddy.

Not sure I fully understood the last part of your question.

Bulk Data drives can again be any drive you like. I have a couple of 6TB drives I use. Think they are WD or might be Seagate I can't recall

😄 Thank you for your help!

So, now I know that I can buy a Samsung external or internal unit as my new drive C:\ :cool:
Thanks for calm my doubts about it.

Now, please excuse me if i wasn't clear in the last part of my question. English is not my 1st language, Spanish it is. But I'll do my best to be clearer 😮

I'm searching for something better to use as a 2nd drive, or D:\ Hard Drive.

The previous D:\ unit i had, get damaged by "the courtesy" of a virus. I suspect that, 'cause any antivirus or anti malware could not found nothing at all. Just an additional information, this "disaster" came or was caused by an actualization of the software that the government provides to the taxpayers (sorry if this is not the right term), in my country. Something very similar happened to my sister, who lives in other city. This was in June of this year. In the last week, talking to other people, they lived the same as my sister and I.
I lost everything I had inside my beloved D:\ :(. My backup get damaged for being old, and when I was to update it, CRASH! BOOM! BANG! R.I.P. my deary D:\ :mad:
Believe me, I don't understand HOW do i still have my drive C:\. That's why i can continue; in a half way, but something is something.

Anyway, now I'm searching for something better as my new C:\ and D:\ units.
Now I'm sure, thanks to your advice, that I can buy a Samsung EVO 860, 1TB as my new C:\.
The doubt is about, which kind of HDD to choose as my new D:\:

- An Hybrid unit?
(Seagate IronWolf 3TB / NAS SATA 6Gb/s / 64 MB cache / 3.5" / Internal Hard Drive / (ST3000VN007)?

(Western Digital Blue 3TB / SATA 6Gb/s / 64MB cache / 3.5" / Internal Hard Drive / (WD30EZRZ)?

OR

- A HDD type Surveillance (24/7) because (as i read) this units endure hard work?
(Western Digital Purple 3TB / Surveillance Hard Drive / 5400 RPM Class / Sata 6Gb/s / 64 MB cache / 3.5" / (WD30PURZ)?

Now, something very important: Information about my PC. Is That:

MAINBOARD: Asus Crosshair V Formula
PROCESSOR: AMD FX-8150 8 Core Black Edition / 3,6 GHz (Bulldozer) / Socket AM3+, Unlocked / 8MB L2 cache +8MB L3 cache
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel / 16GB (2x8Gb) / DDR3 / 240 pins/ 1600 MHz / (PC3 12800) / 1,5V / CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10
GRAPHIC CARD: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti
BLU-RAY DRIVE: Asus Black 12x BD-ROM 16X / DVD-ROM 48X / CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive (BC-12B1ST)
POWER SUPPLY: XFX PRO850W Core Edition
DRIVE C:\ UNIT: Seagate Barracuda / 7200RPM / 1TB / SATA 6Gb/s NCQ / 64MB Cache / 3.5" internal bare drive (ST1000DM003)
DRIVE D:\ UNIT: ("Deceased") Seagate Barracuda / 7200RPM / 3TB / SATA 6Gb/s NCQ / 64MB Cache / 3.5" internal bare drive (ST3000DM001)

I'm thankful to you for your time to helping me in resolve this doubts i have.

Have a cool days 🙂

Sincerely,

Pamela :cool:

Pam_Wolf
Level 7
Hi guys!

Please, I need your help about which SSD I can use on my mainboard Crosshair V Formula, as C:\.
I like Samsung EVO 1TB SATA III internal SSD.
Can I put or use in my MB an external SSD, if i decide to buy it?
And as a D:\ hard drive, I have the doubt to choose between an Hybrid Unit or a Western Digital NAS Hard Drive.

Thank you so much for helping me in this 🙂