cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair v formla z and psu without 4 pin power connector

abrunlin
Level 7
Hi All.
my old psu blew up so i had to buy a new one to power my crosshair v forumla z MB. i ended up buying a Thermaltake SMART M850W .. http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001830
this psu only comes with an extra 8 pin power connector, and no 4 pin like my last psu.
after everything is connected my computer wont start up. is it because i lack the 4 pin connector?

my processor is an AMD FX 8120 black edition.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

BobbyTowers
Level 7
You try to flash the CMOS?
CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.2
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair Formula-Z #2101
Cooling: Enermax ETS-T40-VD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance x2 8GB DDR3 @1600 10-10-10-27
GPU: Evga GTX 770 4Gb Classified
PSU: XFX PRO 850W Black Edition
SSD: G. Skill Phoenix III 120GB
HDD: WD Black 1TB
DVD: DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
CASE: Cooler Master HAF-X 942

Check the board over to see if there are any toasted components... Maybe the old PSU took your board with it. In theory it should start up with the 8 pin ATX 12v connected by itself.
MAIN AMD FX-8350 @ 4.78GHz | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | 16GB G.Skill TridentX | Radeon HD7970 3GB
SERVER/HTPC AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.4GHz | DFI DK 790FXB-M2RSH | 8GB | Radeon HD5670

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Unless you've done some seriously massive overclocking (greater than 40%) for that CPU, I doubt your issue lies with the 4-pin power connector.

When you say, "won't start up," please be more specific about what your computer is doing precisely when you hit the power button. Also, a list of all components would be helpful.

Z

abrunlin
Level 7
yeah i've flashed the cmos and updated the bios. swapped graphic cards, changed pci express cables, checked all connections, removed all ram and put em in one by one trying to power on each time.. nothing.
all light are on, showing me the MB has power. when i press the power button, the graphic fans begin to turn then just stop. nothing else happens.

components:
SilverStone-FT04
asus crossfire z formula z mb
amd 8120 fx cpu
Noctua NH-D14 fan
Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
evga gtx 760 superclocked
samsung ssd hard drive
wd hard drive

haven't done much overclocking.

If when you press the power button your system fails to post, look at the Qcode led and report back what it reads.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

abrunlin
Level 7
ok solved it.. it seems this psu only works with the cables that come with it. i had left in the cables from my old psu and plugged them into the new one as they had the same sockets. strange. but anyway.. its all working now.

thanks for the suggestions.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Pleased you are sorted.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.