cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Forumla V - Raid 0 - Reboot issues.

Agux
Level 7
I'm experiencing an odd issue. My computer keeps rebooting ofter. I have been able to reproduce the issue systematically. I simply start a disk-defragmentation and a few minutes after, Windows locks down for a second, goes black and reboots.

Currently I have a Crosshair Formula V, AMD FX 8150, 16gb DDR3 1600 GSkill, and 2 WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Windows 7 64 bits ultimate.

I have setup both WD disks in a RAID-0 array, using the bios utility. Bios version 1402.

I haven't tested otherwise, but I believe that the rebooting issues during disk defragmentation could be related to the RAID-0 array.

I'm going to try re-installing my system (what a bitch) in a standard non raid array to see if the problem dissapears.

I'm posting here with the hope to report this situation and see if I could get some feedback from you. Is this type of issue documented somewhere ? Is there some type of update/patch I could try ? Would you recommend me to not use the bios utility and setup the array in a different manner ?

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Cordially, Agustin.
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
There are no problems with regard to defrag and RAID 0 - As to why your RAID gives you problems when you try and defrag I honestly have no idea. Have you looked in the Windows event log to see what is causing your system reboot?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I know that there should not be any type of issues with a Raid setup, as it should behave as any standard logical unit.

What I'm trying to demonstrate is that I was finally able to reproduce the problem systematically. I would believe that an intense hard disk activity is producing the issue, and it's kinda demonstrated with the defrag process.

I have experienced other times, while crash-plan (a backup software) was scanning large amount of files, it crashed in the same way.

The windows log does not show a reason for the shortage, it does show some messages when the computer reboots, e.g.
error 6008: The previous system shutdown at 3:01:49 PM on ‎7/‎15/‎2012 was unexpected.
error 41: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

You could be tempted to say it's a power issue, but I have been troubleshoting with 2 different PSU, 700w and 850w (cooler master).

Will try to disassemble the raid setup now, but will remain here, trying to find an explanation or some suggestions.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would personally suggest it is either a ram issue, or you are about to have a hard disc failure. Does this behaviour persist when your system is running at stock?

The fact that all the stress events you refer to involve moving large bits of data around, both ram and hdd intensive.

I feel your pain, I redo my OS every couple of weeks it seems. But then I swap out hardware like most people will change socks.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I would say it's not ram, I memtest86 the ram sticks for over 16 hours each stick individually, no errors.

I installed a new hard drive, and installed the OS in that hard drive. Booted the computer from that disk and kept my previous raid-0 array as the secondary disk.

I ran defrag on this new system setup on the secondary disk and after a while, the OS would stop detecting my secondary (raid) drive. This makes me confirm it's an issue with the hard disk.

I will run chckdsk next, and also the Western Digital Life Guard Diagnostics tool and report back.

Now I understand the cause of my random reboots, whenever an intense HD activity started happening (like the activity of a defrag) the system would eventually stop detecting the disk setup, which would cause the system to shut down, provided that the raid setup was my boot disk.

As of now, the computer does not shutdown because I'm booting from a new drive. But the raid setup just dissapears in the thin air, it requires a system reboot for it to re-appear on windows.

It is possible that this is a RAID driver issue, that could be investigated / addressed by ASUS.

Other people has been experiencing similar issues, for your reference:
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/86656-hard-drive-disappears-randomly.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248185-32-drive-disappearing

I might never find / receive an explanation for this. It caused me a lot of problems, I hope this answer helps someone else out there 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
I like how you think, wanting to provide a helping hand to others even while you are having a hard time of it. Respect Bro

RAID is pretty much up to the chip set vendor, in the toms link AMD and if the other I do not know for sure who made that dudes board. But it did pan out that his hard drive was at fault according to his wrap up at the end.

Lets hope you have as happy a ending, Seagate replaced his hard drives for him 🙂

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I see a possible explanation and it happens to deal with timmings. SATA like SCSI that it is bases upon use's an Integrated Controller instead of like the Old IDE Spec where Windows/DOS controlled the Drive or in Simpler terms a Smart Drive. when you have heavy activity Windows waits a specified time for a return of the Off-board system ie: the HD's Controller and since the Drive is so busy it can't send the Control Response in time so Windows defaults to Drive Not Present and causes the Drive to Disappear or in the First Case Reboot. So Basically it comes down to Timing... I hope this gives you a better Idea of what's going on but to fix it well that's a different story because you need to find out the Control Codes for the HD so that you can get the right Time Out Sequence along with a Reset Code Sequence and a WHOLE LOTTA Programing Skill. to write a new Driver.

WTF !? AMAZING EXPLANATION !

Let's not fix it, it's not our responsibility to fix it, even if I'm a skilled programmer 😛

But help me / us understand better. Is it a driver issue then ? The issue is the ASUS AHCI RAID Driver ? Or is it that the driver does not support well the WD Caviar Blue type of disks ? Or is it a Windows thing ? I mean, who's to blame here ? What forum should I turn to ? I currently plan to just wipe the raid setup for good from my system. I don't like the idea of having to drop the raid concept, but the severity of this issue has been really high for me, it has caused me a long down-time.

So, perhaps this could work if I get a different pair of drives, from a different vendor ? Or perhaps getting a pci raid controller instead ?

Look forward to hearing back from you.
Agustin.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
You could use the Western Digital Forums which might have a better explanation than I could give or they might have a solution to it. but it's mainly a Hardware Problem that is Multiplied by the Driver or AHCI in this case.