cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair discontinued?

Heini
Level 11
I heard today that the Crosshair boards will be discontinued and replaced with a Rampage version for AMD. Any truth in this?
16 REPLIES 16

HiVizMan
Level 40
First I have heard of this.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

The guy I got my Crosshair from couldn't get any from his distributor and was told a Rampage was replacing it. He wanted a Crosshair for himself and had to order from Newegg.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Since there are no more cpu's or chipsets planned for the future we may very well
be seeing the end of the CrossHair Line or maybe even AMD on the ROG side.

Mege APU's, but will they be ROG ???

As to Rampage AMD version. I wouldn't think there would be a chance of that.
Personally I'm not done beat'n on this one by a long shot anyway .. .c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Since there are no more cpu's or chipsets planned for the future we may very well
be seeing the end of the CrossHair Line or maybe even AMD on the ROG side.

Maybe that's what was meant by the Rampage comment. I'll try to get back to him when we both have more time.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
It will be a sad day to see the end of the Crosshair line of boards, but, having said that. I think it's fitting that ASUS does something special as a last hoorah for the Crosshair line and bring out a black edition Crosshair and give it PCIe 3.0. I know, I know...chipset...but hey, they released the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2.0 with PCIe 3.0....and it has the exact same chipset.

And yes, I know, ROG is all about the red and black, but hey....if they can release 2 black editions for the Rampage, they can do it one time for what may possibly be the last Crosshair board ever.

HiVizMan
Level 40
ROG and Rampage are not the same level of abstraction.

ROG is the overall brand. Maximus, Crosshair and Rampage are the product type specific branding within the ROG culture.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
I was curious over Myk SlientShadows' comment about the Sabertooth having the same chipset as the CFZ but still supported PCI 3.0 so I did a bit of digging.

It appears that Asus decided to include what I will refer to a PCI Bridge that supports PCI 3.0 which is why the two boards share the same chipset. Here is the link for those who are interested in the technical details: http://www.plxtech.com/products/expresslane/pex8747 (in short supports 48 lanes which I think is still less lanes than the current generation iCore PCH.

I have no ties to Asus but I think that the above development with the Sabertooth would eventually find its way over to the Crosshair seeming it also has been a successful board. Maybe we would see a new version Crosshair released maybe in the fall of 2014?

As long as I am in my dreaming aloud mode I would love to see the new Crosshair's BIOS and board support the Hotwire VGA function for my R9 Matrix as well as support the new ROG Control Screen. I love the black and red color scheme but a totally black edition would be a great marketing ploy as suggested by Myk SlientShadows 🙂

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

chrsplmr
Level 18
It has been pointed out that PCI 3.0 is mostly marketing and does Nothing for single application GPU's.
When you cross into the Tri and Quad GPU configurations is when you would see a marked improvement.
'We' all chomp on the bit if something new shows up thinking it will give us that 'little bit more'.
It will come along with all the other stuff that will make our current 'rigs' obsolete.

The Black, although I love it too, has been reserved for the 'fire breather' of the Team.
AMD's are not there yet .... yet.
I think the next round of top AMD's will be Black and Gold, non-ROG. ~sigh~ [hope i'm wrong.]

This is what I suggested for the CrossHair VI .... AMD let me down with no knows 'enthusiast'
cpu's/chipsets on the horizon.
Asus didn't dig the design either. lol. But they have incorporated liquid right on the board and a
new OC Panel ... [but that's another story. hahhahaa] .c.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
@TheNerdBench: X79 supports 48 lanes 😉 and cheers for that link, I must've missed the part about the bridge lol

@C at least a couple of your ideas got used Bro 😉