cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Temp reading on Rampage IV Gene

Anakin
Level 7
Hi guys, I recently upgraded from 3930K to 4960X. I wouldn't have done it but the IB-E sample I got is a great one (I'm doing 4.5 GHZ on all cores with 1.20 vcore). It was reported that this sample did 4.7 GHZ with 1.28 vcore on RIVBE, and on that same mobo it did 4.5 with only 1.16 vcore. I have a RIVGene so mine does 4.7 with 1.30 vcore. Anyway that's not a problem since I'm more than happy at 4.5. The problem is that I get different tempertatures reading using all kind of software. AIDA64, RealTempGT and CPUID HW Monitor are reporting the same results. Real Temp (non GT) is reporting higher temps (about 8 degrees). I thought the GT version and all the other stuff is right, untill I saw some idle temps below 20 degrees. I don't think the ambient temperature dropped under 20 in my house, so I'm asking if anyone had the same problem... I'm on air cooling using the Noctua NH-D14.
8 REPLIES 8

48orbust
Level 7
I posted a similar question in the general hardware, overclocking and tweaking section. I'm using the OC panel, but I think it's maybe the same issue. Interested in info people have

philly_cheese_s
Level 8
Software can never give an accurate temp, not sure why your using several at once? Temps will drop if you using energy saving stuff like EIST, so forth.

philly cheese steak wrote:
Software can never give an accurate temp, not sure why your using several at once? Temps will drop if you using energy saving stuff like EIST, so forth.

I don't understand what are you trying to say here? I think he was comparing different temperature reporting software results, and none of them agreed. He's asking the valid question "which one is correct?" Did I understand that correctly Anakin, or did Philly actually answer your question?

Deon017
Level 8
just as an interest, what temps are your MB reporting, I would trust the Bios temp before software and the OC panel gets it directly from your MB. It can not run cooler than your ambient temp as your case will always be a couple of degrees higher

Deon017 wrote:
just as an interest, what temps are your MB reporting, I would trust the Bios temp before software and the OC panel gets it directly from your MB. It can not run cooler than your ambient temp as your case will always be a couple of degrees higher

According to the "Intel Temperature Guide", BIOS temps seems to be the most unreliable:

"because BIOS starts the processor at boot voltage to ensure that it can initialize under any conditions. The monitoring utilities provided by motherboard manufacturers on your Driver DVD reads CPU temperature. Thermal code can vary greatly between BIOS suppliers and version updates, and can be wrong by up to 30C. BIOS or CPU temperature may not be accurate."

The boot conditions combined with the fact that calibration tables are used on a per-manufacturer basis makes me doubt its accuracy.

To answer your question however, OC Panel seems to fall in line with BIOS. Can read 10-15C at boot, when ambient temps are normal. At idle it reads 25-30C, and at load it's 15-20C lower than core temps measured by RealTempGT.

Deon017
Level 8
Hi, found this article that is interesting and talks about how RealTemp works.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

AMD_Man_Clav
Level 10
Realtemp GT is correct for the per core temps, these are not the temps that are used for thermal throttling however, nor are they the temps used by BIOS readings, OC Panel, etc.

The Asus AI Suite software reports the Tcase temp fairly well, and this is the temp used to throttle the CPU in regards to overheating.

Keep in mind, on the R4G it is not terribly hard to overheat the VRM area if using aircooling and overclocking the cpu significantly.

Anakin
Level 7
I was comparing different temperatures coming from different software. Real Temp GT can't be correct reading per core temps because the readings are under the ambient temp. MB temp is 31 degrees on idle. Since my first post I installed Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and it looks to me that the value reported by this software is closer to reality. The individual core temps are identical to Real Temp GT readings...