cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Over Voltage Error on CrossHair 5 !?!

FiNAS
Level 10
Hi,
I'm getting this " CPU Over Voltage Error" just before P.O.S.T. MotherBoard beeps one long and three short times while displaying the message and then boots. A setting over 1.5375 on the vcore will make this happen. This is on bios 052, but I've seen this happen on previous versions.

Is this normal? Is there a way around ?
5 REPLIES 5

Raja
Level 13
You can set F1 halt to disabled in the boot section. It's just a warning. Try enabling Extreme OV as well.

-Raja

FiNAS
Level 10
Hi Raja,

Enabling Extreme OV does not make the message go away.

I already had the "halt on any error" disabled in bios, and even with the message, the pc boots, but i belive that it's more than just a warning, as at 1.55v it is really unstable ( hangs when loading windows ) and at 1.5375 it boots just fine and stable enough to work. ( not prime95 stable thou ).

Raja
Level 13
The instability has nothing to do with the voltage being over 1.53V. Increase the current thresholds for the VRM in the DIGI+ section of UEFI and cool the heatsink with a fan if you are not doing so already. The VRM is capable of pushing out more than 350W, which is likely more than double what you are pulling.

The message is just a safety warning to alert you of the voltage level, it is not there as an alert that the VRM is struggling to supply current.

-Raja

FiNAS
Level 10
Can you clarify this: "Increase the current thresholds for the VRM in the DIGI+ section of UEFI" . I think I already have everything on max ( as on the screenshot ). I'm also cooling the VRM heatsink with a fan. it's probably at 60-70c at this moment.

Is there a possibility that the voltage is not being supplied? I'm not saying that the VRM can't supply it, I'm just hipotetizing that for some reason there is less voltage being applied to the cpu..

thanks!

Raja
Level 13
No, the voltage is being supplied. How much exactly depends on the LLC level. In your case as you've set Extreme the actual voltage under load will be around 1.58~1.59V - probably too much for the CPU to take on your cooling.