cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Level Up - 4670K

noisy
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I want to ask you guys if you could help me OCing my Intel i5 4670K. I have a litte bit experience with OCing as I OCed my old rig with Intel Core Q9550 (I think?) from 〜2,8 Ghz to 〜3,6 Ghz. That's why I thought I'd use CPU Level Up feature which somebody in another thread said it's good and safe to use.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38787-CPU-Level-Up-Maximus-VI-Hero

Don't call me lazy but could somebody as HiVizMan or somebody similiar with some experience OCing 4670K help me with settings and how should I proceed? Or can I just use CPU Level up? I know it depends how good piece of CPU I have but still.

My RIG:
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
Intel Core i5 4670K - Corsair H90 WC
GeForce GTX 670
Kingston HyperX 2400Mhz 8GB RAM

Thanks for any useful answer.
Fractal Design Define R4
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
GeForce Gigabyte GTX 670
Kingston HyperX 2400Mhz 8 GB RAM
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB
6 REPLIES 6

kkn
Level 14
do it inside bios.
take a look in the how to oc link in the sticky.
manualy its xmp for ram.
multi for cpu
and voltages for volt.
as of now hivis is sorta afk. if you look in first forum tread you can see a tread he made for oc of 4 graphic cards.
they are benching on LN2.

Thanks for the quick reply.

First thing I did was BIOS tweaking using UEFI BIOS Tweak Guide sticky including Power Saving settings. Is that good? Or should I revert back to default settings if I'll OC?

Another thing I did was that I chose XMP Profile 2 for my RAMs which is 2130Mhz now and some clock changes. The first one was 2400Mhz but with higher clocks.Here's a screen from CPU-Z with XMP Profile 2 (newest version).

As you said I'll surely OC it in BIOS manually without the CPU Level Up feature but I'm still not sure where to start. I know I should take slow steps increasing CPU Ratio and if it fails to boot, increase voltage etc. as I did it on my previous system. But now I want to make it more optimized and take max. performance from this CPU with RAM timings and other stuff which I'm not familiar with. But if it's not necessary and I can have max. performance without it then I won't be mad. .)

Any other help?
Fractal Design Define R4
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
GeForce Gigabyte GTX 670
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

ewind
Level 10
I use CPU level in the UEFI to test the max capability of this CPU ..... mines a POS - Max overclock I can get 24/7 stable is 4.1GHz at 1.235volt. You would think, I could get more out it with my temp at load 60c to 62c max but that's not the case.

Anyways try using the 4.6 lvl up... if you can boot into windows and temps are good check the volt. you can twink them and try dropping it some see if it's stays stable. Theses are profiles made for wide range of CPU's (starting points)

If you cannot run at 4.6 (most people can't) drop the lvl up to 4.4 and try again. same thing not stable go 4.2 until you fine it will boot into windows. run tests and go from there.

Or you can follow the the OC stuff posted here if you want do it manually take you time.... as it took me two weeks to find a OC that this CPU with run 24/7 at and I still testing for stability.
Corsair 200R
Intel i5 4670k
Corsair H75
Maximus Hero
8GB G.Skill RipJaws (1600Mhz)
EVGA GTX 760 SC
Seagate 240GB SSD
WD 750GB Storage Drive
EVGA NEX 750 Gold PSU
Windows 7 64bit

One more question:

Is it necessary to update BIOS to the newest version? To be honest, I'm happy with my stock BIOS with which I didn't have any problem so far and I'm not sure how buggy latest BIOS is.
Fractal Design Define R4
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
GeForce Gigabyte GTX 670
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

ewind
Level 10
I been running the new BIOS scents it came out, and I'm not sure if it was this BIOS or what but I been able to get good over clock (4.1) best this CPU will do. at least it stable now. unless a whole ton people are reporting bad stuff happening it's always best to have lasted. But that solely up to you.

There also that old say if it ain't broken don't fix it.
Corsair 200R
Intel i5 4670k
Corsair H75
Maximus Hero
8GB G.Skill RipJaws (1600Mhz)
EVGA GTX 760 SC
Seagate 240GB SSD
WD 750GB Storage Drive
EVGA NEX 750 Gold PSU
Windows 7 64bit

ewind wrote:
There also that old say if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Exactly! That's why I don't want to update it if I'm satisfied with it. I'll try with this one and see if it gets high enough for me.
Fractal Design Define R4
ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
GeForce Gigabyte GTX 670
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB