cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could one of my settings be causing issues with video dropout

TheBoatswain
Level 7
My system has been running rock solid with the help of Arne Saknussemm at 4.0 where I feel safe right now. But I been having and issue with my two EVGA SC GTX 580 that are in SLI, and I am not sure if it is them. In game play only cards are water cooled and temps do not get over 27 Celsius I could be having an awesome game (ok it always happens when I am having a awesome game) I flash to a black screen but I get sound for a few minutes before I get a complete crash and sometimes if I hit CLT ALT DEL fast enough I can save it by closing the game in task manager. I am sorry in advance to the dedicated ASUS team here but this board is what brought me back to ASUS. I just wish their Customer services were a little like EVGA because I have no one to talk to. If this doesn’t interest any of you well hey you don't respond as this has happened before to me. Any way do you think it is the video card? EVGA tech support seems to think so. I cannot even play the new Crysis to save my life.
my settings are as follows on the board:
CPU 4.0\ Ram 2133, AI overclock tuner - manual, CPU level up-disable, BCLK -100-000, CPU strap-Auto, Clock Gen Full reset- enabled,
Turbo ratio-per core 4.0,4.0,4.0, CPU Clock GEN full reset-enabled, MEM Freq DDR 2133, extreme tweaking disabled, epu power mode disabled,
> Dram Timing- Rampage Tweak Mode 1 timing - 9,11,10,28,2n Auto the rest for now
>Digi + Power Control - CPU Load Line Cal - High ( I have found My board and CPU like it there and with my Water cooling it isn't an issue, CPU Current Capability 120%,CPU voltage Freq auto, VRM over temp Auto (VRM is water cooled) all the rest is per the guide,
>CPU Performance CPU ratio 4.0.bclk skew auto, Offset + 0.020Cpu Vcore 1.320 - 1.328, vtt 1.15252nd vtt auto VCCA auto , 1.5,
dram 1.655 both a & b, CPU PLL between 1.8000 - 1.8230

I have had my video card over clocked but to a very safe overclock since I have had them 850 core 1700 Shader, 2098 Mem.

I hope this gives you enough info to help and I will be standing by for questions. Please Help.
Asus Rampage VI Apex, Intel X9 7900X, Gskill 3600, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SLI, 4 SSD, 1 M.2 SSD
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Bo's'un....certainly sounds like a video issue....have you tried taking the OC off your cards and seeing if the crash still happens?

If I were you I would take your extra OC off the cards and even downclock them from the factory OC with Precision X to stock 580 values and see if they run smoothly there.

One thing your VCCSA 1.5 that's a typo I'm hoping......also I would try setting By all cores not per core...this often saves power...oh and rampage tweak mode to 2 you could try...

cx-ray
Level 12
Agreed. Try taking off the GPU OC for testing. The latest 32x.xx branch of Nvidia drivers are very sensitive to OC and won't let you go as high any more either. In return they do provide smoother game play and higher GPU utilization when needed.

They have to fix the way their drivers are currently crashing due to bad OC however. They can drag your whole system down. It's almost like the Vista days again.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Actually, that's a good point cx-ray...make sure you update your driver if you are running 320.18 to 320.49 or later....or try roling back to 314.xx

HiVizMan
Level 40
Disable on VGA and see if you have any hassles with only one card working. It is easy to do, simple remove the bridge between the two cards.

If you have no issues with the one card, test out the other. You need to resolve if it is card, or if it is SLI causing this.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

TheBoatswain
Level 7
Arne- Understand on the video card over clock, i will take them down. I could not get the new drivers to take to save my life I had to use fussion it is like cc cleaner not as good like 15 times before I got all of the drivers off then reinstalled realtech drivers and then the createive driver then the video driver now I have the newest video drivers and Physx onboard. As for the VCCSA 1.5 yes I will bring it down it was up there wwhen I had it at 4.6 and forgot to lower it, thanks for noticing and I will do as you mentioned on the cores settings as i am all about saving power and the rampage tweak mode may be one of the issues I was haveing during my burn in test.

CX-Ray- Thank you for helping out this is great stuff I was about to pull these bad boys out and being water cooled this is a lot of work. This driver issue one a week and you can not install them with out scrubbing your Registry is a bunch of Cr7p.

HiVizMan - I have done this several times but not in gaming and I should, I ran a new "To Me" benchmark last night and crashed but when I put both card in SLI and the CPU as my Physx card i trippled my score?

I love this fourm, You guys always give greay sugestions. I will do this and come back tonight or in the morning and let you know how it works out.
Joe
Asus Rampage VI Apex, Intel X9 7900X, Gskill 3600, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SLI, 4 SSD, 1 M.2 SSD

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers mate, yeah you are right this is a great forum I would not hang around if I did not both like and respect the folks here. Will check back later to see how it went.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah I use driver fusion too...good tool....do you use it in safe mode? Best to start up the OS in safe mode and then run Fusion....cleans things out in one go or two at the most. A bit better than running it in the normal OS start up....

Just a note VCCSA max from Intel spec for stock is 1.4 but most consider 1.1 to 1.2 safe....once you start getting up to 1.3 you#re probably on dodgy ground...best to lower that....you shouldn't need it that high...in fact i shouldn't be surprised if for 4.0 GHz you couldn't lower Vcore....but every CPU is a world of it's own!

TheBoatswain
Level 7
Arne,
I had a couple typos, my VCCA is set at 1.155, and the Rampage tweak was set at 2 like you told me to do a while a back and working smoothly there, i thing i should work with my timming though because in some stress test I am not getting the scores that others are when it comes to memory and I have some of the best GSKILL 2133 made, and made the change to the Turbo Ratio :by all cores instead of per core. My CPU is happier when i have the load line calibration at: minimum of high but loves one step above (extreame water cooling).
here some other settings I would like to share,: CPU VCORE Voltage is 1.328 and Can raise it but it makes no diffreance in my Stress test, offset is set to + and the offset VCORE Voltage is 0.20, the VTT CPU is set at 1.15625and the 2nd is in autoCPU VCCA is in Manual and like i mentioned it is 1.155. my biggest issue is getting the Memory at 1.65v so I have it set at 1.660 for both and CPU PLL voltage is another tricky game if I put it at auto it will never get to 1.80000 and if I set it manually at 1.80000 it will still never get there so I have it manually set at 1.83750 and that gets me 1.80000 - 1.81000 but never lower.
I think I am ready to start playing and head up to 4.6.
As for the Video a guy at EVGA finally told me the same thing you all told me, He sent me the proper Bios for each card because one is the Black OPS GTX 580 SC and the the other is a GTX SC 580 and he had me install the proper bios which down clock the card to the original SC settings and told me to raise the voltage to 1.12MV. He thinks , 1. the new drivers are causeing over clocked cards to have these issues and 2. my cards are older and need my juice. his recommendation was to RMA one now and and wait and do the sencond one later. But you guys are right.
I think I will just whine to the wife and ask her to get me two new GTX 780's.
Arne, with my setting now it will be cpu power that I will have to play with to get to the 4.6 right?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yep pretty much I reckon...though I am a bit surprised you need 1.328 for 4.0....have you tried lowering that voltage?

Average kind of voltage is 1.35 for aroungd 4.4 to 4.6 depending on your CPU of course

Maybe you could try VTT and VCCSA a bit higher like 1.575 and set the Digi+ options like the end of this guide I posted up http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide&p=187479&viewfull=1#post...

Maybe giving the RAM a bit more will allow the CPU to use less Vcore?

Are you saying the RAM wont run at 1.65? at it's rated specs?