cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 MHz on Formula-Z

Nepty
Level 9
Hi.
So I bought Corsair Vengeance PRO 1866MHz 16GB (2x8GB) CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R, and I'm wondering can I only have 16GB or can I add 24GB or 32GB in total?
And on that note, I have tried to overclock them to 2133MHz which the DIMMs are capable of, and I can't seem to run higher than 1866MHz even with the timings provided from sites.

SUMMARY
How much can I run (16GB, 24GB or 32GB)?
Can I run those timings?
Why can't I overclock them?
What do I need to set in BIOS so that I can overclock them?

Links on overclocking/review sites:
HiTech Legion
PC Perspective
MOBO | ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA
CPU | Intel i9-10850K
COOLER | Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX's)
RAM | G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 64GB 3200Mhz (3800MHz OC) (F4-3200C14D-32GTZR)
GPU |
ASUS ROG Strix LC RTX 4090 OC
HDD |
Kingston FURY Renegade e M.2 2TB
PSU |
ASUS ROG THOR 1200

CASE |
ASUS ROG Strix Helios White
OS |
Windows 11 Pro 64bit

Monitor |
Asus 48'' 4K PG48UQ x2
3 REPLIES 3

MeanMachine
Level 13
G'Day Nepty.

Specs for CVFZ are for 32GB max, however theoretically maybe more, but a waste imo.

It is best to select DIMMs in kits, which are tested as a kit. Mixing kits can work however it is not recommended.

From default settings in Bios you can determine your XMP profile and timings using CPUz.

Tested Latency for yours are: 9-10-9-27 @1.5v

Set the XMP profile settings in Bios to start with,then run a stress test. Best test for DIMMs is Memtest86.

If stable @1866, stick with it for best stability and save a profile in Bios.

An increase in voltage say 1.65v and other Bios tweaks will allow OC however it depends on the strength of the IMC, damage can result from excessive stress and kill your CPU.
Best results are obtained with small increases of Frequency and voltage, and will determine success, so monitor carefully.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
G'Day Nepty.
Specs for CVFZ are for 32GB max, however theoretically maybe more, but a waste imo.
It is best to select DIMMs in kits, which are tested as a kit. Mixing kits can work however it is not recommended.
From default settings in Bios you can determine your XMP profile and timings using CPUz.

Tested Latency for yours are: 9-10-9-27 @1.5v
Set the XMP profile settings in Bios to start with,then run a stress test. Best test for DIMMs is Memtest86.
If stable @1866, stick with it for best stability and save a profile in Bios.

An increase in voltage say 1.65v and other Bios tweaks will allow OC however it depends on the strength of the IMC, damage can result from excessive stress and kill your CPU.
Best results are obtained with small increases of Frequency and voltage, and will determine success, so monitor carefully.

Yeah, I know 32GB is overkill for gaming.
But when I use Google Chrome or Mozilla Nightly, it uses a ton of memory and have other high memory programs running aswell when gaming.
So max usage is 82% of 16GB, would like to have either 24GB or 32GB.. if 3 or 4 of the same sticks will either give incompatibility issues or make the system more steady with 24GB or 32GB.. that I don't know.

I'm running XMP mode now since it's the only working frequency around 1866MHz.
Thank you for your answer 🙂

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
If you want that 1866 kit to run at 2133, try selecting the 2133 frequency, go to DRAM Timing Control and set the 4 values to Auto and set the DRAM Voltage to Auto also. F10 to save and reboot and see how it goes. If you get a successful POST, you know your 9590's IMC can handle the frequency, go back into your BIOS and timing control again and see what values have been set and see if they're much different from the ones listed on the Hightechlegion test's table.

Yeah, I have tried setting the sticks to D.O.C.P then overclock them with the right timings for 2133MHz, which failed.
I think I have to do that way your mentioning, setting things on auto and look for the correct value.
Will do that later, thanks for your input. 🙂
MOBO | ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA
CPU | Intel i9-10850K
COOLER | Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX's)
RAM | G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 64GB 3200Mhz (3800MHz OC) (F4-3200C14D-32GTZR)
GPU |
ASUS ROG Strix LC RTX 4090 OC
HDD |
Kingston FURY Renegade e M.2 2TB
PSU |
ASUS ROG THOR 1200

CASE |
ASUS ROG Strix Helios White
OS |
Windows 11 Pro 64bit

Monitor |
Asus 48'' 4K PG48UQ x2

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
If you want that 1866 kit to run at 2133, try selecting the 2133 frequency, go to DRAM Timing Control and set the 4 values to Auto and set the DRAM Voltage to Auto also. F10 to save and reboot and see how it goes. If you get a successful POST, you know your 9590's IMC can handle the frequency, go back into your BIOS and timing control again and see what values have been set and see if they're much different from the ones listed on the Hightechlegion test's table.