cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsair Memory questions for Asus Crosshair V Forumula (two different CPU's)

Xaero
Level 8
I want to see if any of you have used any of the following combinations and see what happened or what you had to do...

Memory I want to use: CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R (8 GB Vengeance PC3-15000 1866mHz kit, 2 chips x 4 GB)

Anyone run this with a Phenom 2 X2 550 BE? That is my current placeholder CPU with 1333 RAM currently in it. I want to replace it with the above. Did anyone have to modify settings to underclock the RAM? More advanced question: Is running it underclocked a bad idea? I just noticed this RAM has dropped from an insane price to something more reasonable so I am almost ready to upgrade to a bulldozer. Which leads to my second question:

Anyone running this with a Bulldozer? Will this motherboard run it at 1866 properly or is it going to even underclock that to 1800? On the website it says its 1800(O.C.) but that is not a overclock for a Bulldozer! If you have this combination did you have to do anything special in BIOS outside of setting timings to get it to work right?

Last question: Am I correct to assume that all Bulldozer models are built for 1866 or is that just the x8 model?
2 REPLIES 2

Granger
Level 10
Normally, with an FX CPU you can run the RAM at 2133mhz on a CHV (thats PC3-17000) so the ram you are talking about should run fine.
But, I beleive that most RAM's are the same in the way there "stock" speed is lower than their intended speed (in my case, I'm running G-Skill 2133mhz RAM, stock speed is 1600 and you need to OC the RAM to run it faster)

HiVizMan
Level 40
The bulldozer CPU's are very good clockers of RAM and Granger is spot on, to run your ram at anything but the chipset default, say to match the specifications of the kit your bought you will indeed need to overclock the ram.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.