cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer won't detect graphic card unless cmos reset

Matsi
Level 7
I recently upgraded some parts in my computer and moved the entire thing into a new case. I am now having some issues with it.
Currently, the only successful way I have found to get it to start up properly is to reset the cmos and from the bios, boot override my system drive. Everything works at that point and the system is stable.
If I try to restart the system, my display will not turn on and it seems like the graphics card is not being detected. I can see that the system is booting properly other than that because I can login without being able to see anything and my system runs Teamviewer on startup. I can remote desktop into it, but the display resolution is stuck at like 600x400. I also have the ROG Connect connected to my laptop and have not seem any sort of errors during startup or anything.

The only way to get it to work again is to reset the cmos. I then go into the bios and try resetting it to optimal defaults but when I save and restart I have the same problem... I have tried changing a few settings in the bios that I think could be causing this and so far have not had any luck getting it to work outside of the boot override method. I've reached the point of trying to ask for help or just ignoring the problem and never turning it off, but it's still annoying when I have to reboot to install something.
6 REPLIES 6

JustinThyme
Level 13
Something is telling me this is an OS/driver issue.
Does this happen when you put the old graphics card back in or did you even change the graphics? Please list what parts you changed other than the case.
If you did change the graphics card.....
First thing I would try is the drivers. When you get into the OS use DDU to remove them then reinstall. This is first rule when changing graphics cards always. When I do it I uninstall the drivers before I change the cards. Then boot up with the new cards and install the drivers.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Something is telling me this is an OS/driver issue.
Does this happen when you put the old graphics card back in or did you even change the graphics? Please list what parts you changed other than the case.
If you did change the graphics card.....
First thing I would try is the drivers. When you get into the OS use DDU to remove them then reinstall. This is first rule when changing graphics cards always. When I do it I uninstall the drivers before I change the cards. Then boot up with the new cards and install the drivers.

I think it did it when I put the old one back since that was part of my troubleshooting and it didn't change anything so I just put the new one back in again, Would it be a driver/os issue if the display doesn't even turn on for post?

Other than the case I upgraded the GPU from GTX960 to GTX1070 and the CPU from a FX6300 to FX9590

JustinThyme
Level 13
That’s pretty much outside of the limit for the UEFI.*

Of the graphics driver scrub and reload doesn’t work it’s looking like the easiest out is to do a clean install and start over. *Can you get into the BIOS?
Have you tried a different PCIe slot?

Bad drivers may keep you from seeing anything after the initial post of you had fast boot enabled. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
That’s pretty much outside of the limit for the UEFI.*

Of the graphics driver scrub and reload doesn’t work it’s looking like the easiest out is to do a clean install and start over. *Can you get into the BIOS?
Have you tried a different PCIe slot?

Bad drivers may keep you from seeing anything after the initial post of you had fast boot enabled. *

I can get into the bios if I reset the cmos, I can load windows use the computer with everything functioning perfectly by directly booting the system drive from the bios. But if I want to change ANY bios settings or even just save the defaults that they've reset to, the display will never work again until I reset the cmos again.

I've even replaced the cmos battery and reflashed the bios, but neither of those helped.

There really isn't another slot I could put it into, I think there's only ONE other x16 slot and it's on the very bottom, assumming the GPU would even fit up against the enclosure on the bottom, The airflow would be terrible...

Still not having any luck fixing this... I've reflashed the bios in case it was corrupt or something, I replaced the cmos battery.... I can't think of anything else to do...

Matsi
Level 7
Still can't get this to work properly.... I'm thinking it's an issue with the motherboard somewhere, I recently even tried unplugging EVERYTHING, including all the hard drives. I only left the RAM, CPU, Graphics and a single monitor along with a keyboard and mouse and the system would still not load the bios/display unless i reset the cmos, I've tried to set the bios to defaults, I've tried to manually enter the bios settings, NOTHING seems to work.... What should I do? Replace the motherboard? 😞