cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Hard locking

ShaunDeG
Level 7
Not sure what to do. Recently my computer has started to hard lock anytime I am playing a game for longer than 10 mins. I have done everything I could possibly think to find the problem and am at my wit's end. I have tested for virus, run memory checks, kept a careful eye on temperature of both the CPU and GPU, updated all my drivers (or in the case of my video card used the newest available from ASUS), have run OCCT for 5 mins or so with no issues, run PassMark Performance with no issues. Anything else I should try? I cannot think of anything besides maybe looking at every component on the board and looking for a burn out or some sort.

System Specs:

Intel 3930K - no overclock atm
16 Gigs DDR2133 RAM G.Skill also not overclocked atm
128 Gig Crucial SSD
Asus 660TI Video Card
H100 CPU cooling

Thanks for any assitance you can provide. One of the times it crashed I had a sound loop but that is not always present.

Shaun
4 REPLIES 4

RVxSpeed
Level 10
ShaunDeG wrote:
Not sure what to do. Recently my computer has started to hard lock anytime I am playing a game for longer than 10 mins. I have done everything I could possibly think to find the problem and am at my wit's end. I have tested for virus, run memory checks, kept a careful eye on temperature of both the CPU and GPU, updated all my drivers (or in the case of my video card used the newest available from ASUS), have run OCCT for 5 mins or so with no issues, run PassMark Performance with no issues. Anything else I should try? I cannot think of anything besides maybe looking at every component on the board and looking for a burn out or some sort.

System Specs:

Intel 3930K - no overclock atm
16 Gigs DDR2133 RAM G.Skill also not overclocked atm
128 Gig Crucial SSD
Asus 660TI Video Card
H100 CPU cooling

Thanks for any assitance you can provide. One of the times it crashed I had a sound loop but that is not always present.

Shaun

u didn't mentioned your board & bios version.
Rampage IV Extreme(Red)/ i7 3970x / 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinium 1600 / Asus GTX 780 DCU II- OC SLI / Corsair AX 1200i / Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB /Intel 750 400 GB/ Cooler Master Cosmos II / Corsair H100i

abvolt
Level 11
Have you tried a reinstall of windows I know that's not much fun but we all know windows likes to be reinstalled far so often..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Yeah board might be a good idea to mention. I have the Rampage IV Extreme with the most current BIOS, when the problem started I was running on BIOS 3404 I think which had been stable for a long time.

Update: Yesterday I spent a few hours on the computer doing work for an upcoming project presentation and it consistently would completely freeze every 30-45 mins it seemed.