cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comp freezes at Windows Starting screen

JJFIVEOH
Level 7
Occasionally my computer double posts and it will freeze at the Windows Starting screen. I then need to restart and select the option to start windows normally. Usually that works, but sometimes it will get stuck on the windows starting screen a second time. More often than not, it will start up normally after the first time. Either way, it's not a startup issue as far as the OS goes. I have BCLK set to manual like I've seen in other posts. My OS is working fine. I've tried the repair option and it never finds anything wrong. This might happen once a week, sometimes a couple times a day. I have to assume this is a driver issue. Which driver should I be looking at for this? What is a common fix? Is there any info you might need to help? Thank you in advance, this is driving me nuts.
49 REPLIES 49

WolfSoul wrote:
Wild guess and something I suffered from myself.. happen to have a GTX 400 series card? I had 470 and after the Windows login the screen froze constantly

Hmmmm, EVGA 470 GTX here.

WolfSoul wrote:
Wild guess and something I suffered from myself.. happen to have a GTX 400 series card? I had 470 and after the Windows login the screen froze constantly

You say you suffered from this yourself, what did you do that you no longer suffer? :cool:

OK so here goes. I haven't had any luck so far. I've tried disabling some things, I've tried changing the settings on some things and my problem isn't solved. Now today I tried to completely uninstall my JMicron driver. I have a couple of questions to ask later on, but correct if I'm wrong about this. On the MIVE there are two different SATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors, one for Intel and one for Marvell. First, why would there even be a JMicron driver included with the MIVE software, hasn't this been replaced with Marvell? I uninstalled this because I am under the impression that this is for a RAID setup (which I do not use) and considering I already have an AHCI driver for the IDE/ATA controller I shouldn't even need JMicron installed at all. I haven't booted the computer enough yet to determine that this was the problem, but I have noticed my hard drive is running much less. It used to run all the time no matter what I was doing. Second, what are the differences in Marvel and Intel connections? Which one should I be using? Currently my HDD is plugged into the Intel connector. Third, why are there three drivers available (JMicron, Marvel and Intel) when there are only two types of connections? It was mentioned earlier in this post to disable Marvell to see if this problem would be solved. What difference would it make if I switched to the Marvell connector, re-enabled Marvell and disable Intel (not even sure that is an option)?

Sorry if this is off-topic but it was my next step along the lines of troubleshooting the original topic. Sorry for all the questions, I hope somebody has the patience to give me a brief answer. I consider myself pretty computer savvy but this is the first time I've really had to deal with HDD's and drivers. Most all of my builds in the past have been plug and play and forget. Thank you in advance!

TheGeneral
Level 7
Hmm see sometimes i get double posts, and it stops on the windows logo too! so same problem here. I've just set up default settings for a while myself. Will let you know how i get on. It doesn't happen too often, and I haven't had to repair windows or anything.

Also AFAIK the Jmicron driver is for the SATA hot-swap thingamajigs on the back plate of the motherboard so you can plug external HDD's into those if you didn't have a USB one. 🙂

Hope we can find out what's causing this one! It defiantly seems like a setup error somewhere, it hasn't broken anything at least for me and always works after a reboot etc. Just odd indeed.

Regards

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I was out of town for 2 weeks so I haven't had much time to see if the JMicron uninstall has worked. But so far so good. I'm knocking on wood because every time I get optimistic is when it stops working, lol.

JJFIVEOH, I have the same problem.

System:

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
i7 2600k 3.4 @ 4.6 (vcore 1.395)
Corsair H70
2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 2000mhz
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 6GB/64mb/7200 rpm
ATI 4870
HAF 922

Windows Seven Professional x64

So, its completely random my freezes... sometimes i have, sometimes no. And I am using the Intel connectors (I think)...

[] [] (RED)
[] [] (RED) <---- Using this one
[] [] (GRAY)
[] [] (GRAY)

I already uninstalled the JM drivers, Marvell drivers... what you think guys? We (me and JJFIVEOH) have the same HD and corsair memory.

Tnx!

JJFIVEOH
Level 7
Yup, that's the exact same set up I have as far as HDD connection. I had no luck with the JMicron uninstall. A week ago I reset all BIOS settings to default and I haven't had an issue since. I have never gone this long without the startup problem since I started OC'ing this system. The 4.8 OC I used before was close to the same as the setup in the guide this forum provides. I set vcore to 1.38 @ 4.8 in the OC I used before. I never once had any lockup or BSOD issues with this, but I'm wondering if boosting it to 1.4-1.41 might do something with the startup problems. Another OC setting I'm thinking about is the RAM settings. For now I'm going to put my original OC settings back and jack up the vcore a little bit (I don't see how this would affect startup, but who knows.) I'll let you know how I make out. If I start having problems, I'll start messing with the RAM settings.

OH....... Spathi mentioned the AHCI controller earlier in this thread and I did try downloading what I thought was the newer, correct AHCI controller. Those didn't work. BUT, I ran my Advanced System Optimizer a couple of days ago and it found a newer version that I didn't find on the Intel site. I installed that so maybe that was an issue...... if it was then theoretically if I put my original OC settings back the way they were everything should work.

BTW, is your hard drive real noisy? Mine is, it runs all the time. Most of the time the comp is extremely quick. But sometimes it lags. If I open a website that has a lot of thumbnails and/or pics the HDD gets real noisy and it takes a while for the site to finish opening. Now if the HDD is quite and not running, I can open the same site and it will open instantaneously. I've run all the diagnostics and everything comes out perfect, and I've also turned off indexing.

I don't noticed anything different in my HD... any noise too... What test
can i make to certify everything is ok?

Since yesterday my starting screen dont freezed...and I don't know why... I don't made any changes in my setup...

Anyway... I don't know if this have importance, but, when i tried to use the OFFSET mode (vcore), the system put vcore 1.6 in stress.. and 0.9 in idle... Its strange because i dont have any BSOD when I am working or playing some games and in LinX tests...(using vcore 1.395)...