cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install windows Crosshair V

Nuhrds
Level 7
Just got the Crosshair V installed two days ago. Been trying to install windows since. I can get it to boot of the disc, but once it is done loading files it stops at the "Starting Windows" screen. I don't even begin to see the windows loading animation. It just says starting windows. It just stays there. What should I do?

Motherboard:
Asus Crosshair V Formula

Processor:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Memory:
4gb Corsiar XMS (I think this may be the issue, but I don't have anymore memory)

Video:
EVGA GTX 260 (will upgrade soon)

PSU:
Thermaltake Toughpower 750w

Please keep in mind that I'm 16 and buying new components to "test" things isn't possible for me.
18 REPLIES 18

Granger
Level 10
What hard drive are you using?
Where is it plugged in? (slot 1,2.....)
Which bios?
Have you put Bios on stock settings?

A bit more info will help us to help you 😉

Im using a Seagate Barracuda 250gb
Plugged into slot 1

Nuhrds wrote:
Im using a Seagate Barracuda 250gb
Plugged into slot 1

1. Was this one embty when you started the installation of the OS?
2. Is it the only HDD (counting SSD's too) on your system right now?

Been getting Blue Screen with error code: 0x0000007F
Googled it and it said memory issue. So I'm going to be trying different memory.

1. Use only one memory stick at fartest slot from CPU (red one).
2. Set it (fix it) manualy to correct settings(Memory frequency, DRAM voltage,DRAM Timing Control) for the memory via BIOS.
If those dont work try the lowest Memory frequency you can set them
CPU: AMD FX-8150 MB: ASUS Crosshair V Formula DDR3: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866
GPU: ASUS 7970 SSD: 4x Corsair F3 120GB @ Raid0 PSU: SF Golden Silent 500W OS: W7 Ultimate 64bit

HiVizMan
Level 40
What OS are you trying to install.

Have you confirmed that your SATA port is configured to the correct settings. AHCI or IDE
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Windows 7. And they are all set to AHCI. I've tried installing on both AHCI and IDE.

Update!!

Been getting Blue Screen with error code: 0x0000007F
Googled it and it said memory issue. So I'm going to be trying different memory. What would you say the best memory for the Crosshair V would be.

Granger
Level 10
I'm using G-Skill RipJaws X on mine, anything up to 2133mhz will run (but I wouldn't bother going higher than 1600, unless you have an FX cpu, you'll have trouble getting the RAM higher than 1833)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Down load Memtest and do a couple of passes testing your ram. You might fine one stick is not quite right.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Im going to buy new memory today and probably an ssd.

No the hard drive wasn't empty. It had a prior installation of windows 7 that I'm trying to get rid of and install a fresh copy.
It's my only hard drive as of now.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome to ROG Nuhrds ...

Format'n a HD was so much easier with a floppy boot disc ... alas.
(of course if you get an ssd .. below is moot.except for the ram.)
dont forget to read the crosshair section stickies...

in the bios:
ADvanced>Sata Config>sb sata config>ide
Advanced>onboard device config> asm1061 storage contro.>disabled

ExtremeTweaker>Dram Timing Control>dram read to read timing>5
extremetweaker>Dram Timing Control>dram command rate>2T

best of luck ... 16 and you already know more than most .. you simply ask. cudos.c.