Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't disable Secure Boot on Asus Maximus VII Hero

rakavolver
Level 7
[[/edit MAXIMUS VII Formula, not Hero, was a mistake]]

As title says.
Tried everything.
First i tried to look up directly from windows for the UEFI Firmware Settings but obviously the option wasn't showing.
Then i went into my Maximus VII Formula's BIOS but all i can see is Secure Boot Enabled greyed out.. unable to change that option.
I did setup a password for both admin and user, and for admin only, still greyed out.
I changed OS to Other OS, still greyed out, and still won't work as if it was disabled(did read about someone claming that if you put Other OS it will work as if Secure Boot was disabled).
CMS enabled, still not working as if Secure Boot was disabled.

I am seriously frustrated about this.. need urgent help.
I want to disable Secure Boot.

Thanks a lot.
8 REPLIES 8

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi rakavolver and Welcome to ROG

Here is a link that explains your problem and how to disable secure boot in Windows 8.1 if that is your OS.
http://itsfoss.com/disable-uefi-secure-boot-in-windows-8/

Hope this helps.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi rakavolver and Welcome to ROG

Here is a link that explains your problem and how to disable secure boot in Windows 8.1 if that is your OS.
http://itsfoss.com/disable-uefi-secure-boot-in-windows-8/

Hope this helps.

MM

Hello MeanMachine,

i already checked that link, unfortunately, as explained shortly in my first post, under "Advanced Options" i have no "UEFI Firmware Settings".
I have all the other five options but not that one

rakavolver wrote:
Hello MeanMachine,

i already checked that link, unfortunately, as explained shortly in my first post, under "Advanced Options" i have no "UEFI Firmware Settings".
I have all the other five options but not that one

Same for me with regards to no option. In fact, getting into the UEFI bios is incredibly difficult on boot. I have to spam the DEL key like a madman for it to work. Either that or I have to try repeatedly for it to catch and work. One tip that helped me is Ctrl+Alt+Del will bring you back to Post if it goes past the Window in which you could enter the Uefi bios.

rakavolver
Level 7
Anyone else 😞 ?

Cruzberg
Level 7
I'm having the same exact issue. The BIOS won't allow me to boot from a Windows 7 DVD from a system preinstalled with Windows 8. I'm going to try to work on it some more tonight. I'll post if I find the solution.

defaye
Level 7
I saw this thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51442-Maximus-VI-Hero-Disabling-Secure-Boot which seems related. I've posted there as well but I'm having the same problem. I really want to know what to do. This is a huge p.i.t.a. I don't really want to re-install Windows just because it's in a secure boot mode and hope it won't install in exactly the same way regardless of some motherboard tweaking prior to the install...

It also seems to me that fiddling with the switch from Windows UEFI Mode and Other OS prevents Windows from booting.

kaptanedi
Level 10
key menagement Scroll to the tab and clear key do and then secure boot disable 😄

kaptanedi wrote:
key menagement Scroll to the tab and clear key do and then secure boot disable 😄

Thanks - this was what actually disabled secure boot for me. I managed to install Pop!_OS 20.04 :cool: