cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't boot SSD in AHCI w/ Maximus V Formula

tkreck
Level 7
I just finished a new build including the MVF (updated the BIOS to v1803) and a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD. I tried installing Win 7 Pro on the SSD in AHCI at the start, but it wouldn't boot. I changed the SATA mode to IDE, and it worked fine. I understand that the SSD works better in AHCI, but can't get it to boot in that mode. I'd read that I need to go into the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_ > System > CurrentControlSet > Services > Msahci and change the Start value to "0", but that's already the current value. I'd also read to change the Start value in iaStorV to "0" (default is currently "3"), but that didn't do any good either. I'm now too far into it to do a full reinstall. Any recommendations on getting it to boot in AHCI, or should I just live with it in IDE?
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
Which SATA port did you use?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Turned out to be a wild goose chase. I actually have 2 SSDs, and I thought one was DOA. After checking the ports per your suggestion, (my working SSD was in port 2), I thought I had a defective motherboard, as it said that port 1 was not present (where the "DOA" drive was plugged in). I had bought some straight SATA III cables at my local electronics store because the ASUS cables have the 90° bend that was opposite what I needed with the SSD caddies w/ my NZXT Phantom 630 case. It turns out that one of these cables is bad. After taking both SSDs out of the case caddies and putting them into the regular cage w/ the ASUS SATA cables, lo and behold, both SSDs show up, and the SanDisk boots up in AHCI without a problem. Shame on me for not doing a more systematic check of my cabling!

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good mate, I am pleased my suggestion prompted you to find the actual fix. Enjoy your system mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.