cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use two M.2 SSDs at the same time on my ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 2?

erosnunes
Level 7
Hello,

I would like to have dual boot on my ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 2.
Can I use two M.2 SSD at the same time?

Thank you!!
8 REPLIES 8

erosnunes
Level 7
Anyone, please?

Nate152
Hi erosnunes,

The Asus Tuf Z270 Mark 2 has two M.2 slots so short answer is yes.

You'll want to check the manual to see if this configuration disables or shares any slots/ports.

Yes, you can use two M.2 SSDs at the same time on your ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 2 motherboard. However, you need to know what is going on inside your computer so that it does not become a risk of hardware failure and/or data corruption. When you add more than one M.2 (mini SAS) SSD (with NGFF form factor) into the PCIe slot(s) of your motherboard, then it will be necessary to set up a RAID configuration using either Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST), or the newer "set ATA interface as AHCI - Native mode" within BIOS before proceeding with the installation of operating system (OS).

If you do not configure this setting first before the installation of OS, then your motherboard will not detect the new M.2 SSD(s) during the boot process once it is installed into the PCIe slot(s). You can find this setting under Advanced mode in BIOS and depends on your specific ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 2 motherboard version, which revision number (if any) since there are different versions for different regions/countries/markets with slightly different BIOS settings.

erosnunes
Level 7
Thank you for you precious help. I did menage to place two SSDs M.2 and with no RAID.
But I have a question; iI bought a PCIe adapter for one of the M.2 SSD. Will this be a better option? I still didn't installed it...

erosnunes wrote:
iI bought a PCIe adapter for one of the M.2 SSD. Will this be a better option? I still didn't installed it...

Shouldn't be necessary. As long as everything is working you are unlikely to notice any difference between an onboard slot and an adapter. Depending on the slot you use you might end up going through the PCH anyway. PCH is theoretically slower but you're unlikely to notice during normal usage.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

WIN 11 seems slower than Win 10....

erosnunes
Level 7
Someone? Please?

erosnunes
Level 7
Thank you very much!!