cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD at Windows loading when overclocking 4770K on Maximus VI Hero

fireaza
Level 7
Hey guys! I'm currently trying to overclock my new setup (Intel i7 4770K and Maximus VI Hero), I'm new to overclocking so I'm using the "CPU power up" thing to automatically configure the BIOS for me. However, it seems like no matter which profile I use, I get a blue screen of death when Windows loads. It loads fine if I revert back to stock settings. I wouldn't think overheating would be a problem, since:
1) I'm using a Corsair H100i water cooler
2) I wouldn't think it would overheat that quickly on such small overclocking

Does anyone know the source of my problem? I brought the K version CPU and the H100i with the intent of overclocking, so it sucks I'm hitting this issue already.
42 REPLIES 42

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest it blue screens because either your CPU can not do it or you need way more voltage for that CPU. Earlier you had 0124 BSOD with 4.2 so I would say you have a very volt hungry CPU
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ah, I see. The CPU is trying to run at my requested clock speed, but it's not getting enough voltage so it falls over when it tries to start Windows? Okay, so I need to bump up the voltage then. Back on page 1, you said "VCore manual mode and type in below 1.300" so I'd simply go back here and enter in a higher number, right? Any suggested numbers? Is it possible to enter in too high of a number and kill my CPU or is the system designed to shut down if it's going to be damaged?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes you go back to vcore and type in a higher number or just press the + sign a few times. Three clicks and reboot. You do not want to be above 1.4 volts for 24/7.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

fireaza
Level 7
Yep, increasing the vcore definitely helped with the bluescreening. I went from BSOD as soon as Windows started, to BSOD during login to able to run Windows. However, it would bluescreen after about 20 seconds of running Prime95, I increased vcore all the way up to 1.399, but it was still bluescreening. Any clues why? Is my CPU so power hungry that it needs more than 1.4? I was trying to overclock to 4.4 BTW.

ewind
Level 10
Maybe it's the fact that it will not run at 4.4GHz - not all CPU's will, mine will not run at anything over 4.1 no matter how much volt. I give it. just how it is. It's like play the loto some people win 2k bucks, and some win 10 bucks. Just luck really.
Corsair 200R
Intel i5 4670k
Corsair H75
Maximus Hero
8GB G.Skill RipJaws (1600Mhz)
EVGA GTX 760 SC
Seagate 240GB SSD
WD 750GB Storage Drive
EVGA NEX 750 Gold PSU
Windows 7 64bit

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip that is sadly true, not all CPUs are made equal. Looks like you have a volt hungry beast.

fireaza
Level 7
Hmmm, if I were able to get it stable by using a voltage setting higher than 1.4, would this still be bad for it like any other CPU or would it's hunger for volts mean it can handle a bit more?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hungry for volts means it needs more volts than others to achieve a similar frequency. I would not want to go 1.400 + for 24/7

fireaza
Level 7
Damn, looks like this is as good as it gets 😞 Thanks for your help though!

HiVizMan
Level 40
On the positive side you now know heaps more about your system and the bios than you did at the start of this journey. So not all bad.