cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD at Windows loading when overclocking 4770K on Maximus VI Hero

fireaza
Level 7
Hey guys! I'm currently trying to overclock my new setup (Intel i7 4770K and Maximus VI Hero), I'm new to overclocking so I'm using the "CPU power up" thing to automatically configure the BIOS for me. However, it seems like no matter which profile I use, I get a blue screen of death when Windows loads. It loads fine if I revert back to stock settings. I wouldn't think overheating would be a problem, since:
1) I'm using a Corsair H100i water cooler
2) I wouldn't think it would overheat that quickly on such small overclocking

Does anyone know the source of my problem? I brought the K version CPU and the H100i with the intent of overclocking, so it sucks I'm hitting this issue already.
42 REPLIES 42

Nate152
2x8 GB kit would be best as using two kits of the same brand and same specs CAN cause issues. Use 1 kit to ensure stability.

fireaza
Level 7
Hmm, I was under the impression that it's important to always buy RAM that's as identical as possible so stuff like dual channel will work. But sometimes this is a bad thing you're saying? So I should leave 2x of my DIMMs empty instead of filling them all up? In the case of the 2x 8GB kit, would it be worth buying a faster speed or would it be a waste of money?

HiVizMan
Level 40
The number of sticks that are fitted increases the work the CPU (memory controller) has to do - it is better if you want high capacity memory to have the fewest number of sticks.

Faster memory only looks good or shows real results in benchmarks. Real world stuff capacity is king. For me 16gb is the sweet spot for the amount of memory I would use.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

fireaza
Level 7
Huh, I never knew that about how the number of RAM sticks effects performance. Yeah, in that case, 2x 8GB sticks would be best. In terms of speed, should I bother with 1866MHz or just stick with 1600MHz?

I read somewhere that only haswell chip really use anything over 1600MHz I can't find where I read that at ATM. But seems to me it's a wast. I could be wrong thou. And I sure if I am wrong someone will point it out LOL.:rolleyes:
Corsair 200R
Intel i5 4670k
Corsair H75
Maximus Hero
8GB G.Skill RipJaws (1600Mhz)
EVGA GTX 760 SC
Seagate 240GB SSD
WD 750GB Storage Drive
EVGA NEX 750 Gold PSU
Windows 7 64bit

fireaza
Level 7
Yeah, I heard that too, but the big question is if that ability to use faster RAM actually makes any difference in the real world.

fireaza wrote:
Yeah, I heard that too, but the big question is if that ability to use faster RAM actually makes any difference in the real world.

Hi.
Yes it makes a real difference, otherwise they wouldn't build it... But depends entirely on your NEED.
Higher memory frequency (the numbers you are referring to) is not actually directly RAM "speed", but RAM "bandwidth"...
Meaning, it sort of shows how much data can transfer in and out of memory in one instance.
So, if you want to play games or develop applications or simply watch a movie, then you are transferring a limited amount of data at the same time, as result, 1600Mhz would be even "more" than you need. But if you want to edit video or work on huge graphic files or you want to run virtual operating systems on your computer and so on, then you're moving a huge chunk of data in and out of your RAM at any given point, that's when you actually benefit from high memory bandwidth.

fireaza
Level 7
I see, so for the purposes of gaming, videos and the occasional Photoshop usage, 1600MHz is more than enough?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest that 1600Mhz would be sufficient yes.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

fireaza
Level 7
Okay, I've picked up some new RAM, and now I have the XMP option! Hooray!

It still bluescreens when I try the 4.4 CPU overclock profile though, why do you think this is?