cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueTooth Range is Exteremely Low?

Wasabi_Ice_Crea
Level 7
Strange problem I've been having.
If I try to use any of my BlueTooth devices over a 3ft distance, the signal is greatly degraded.
All my BT devices experience the same issue. Mouse, Keyboard, and Game Controller.
Thought it was some of my other hardware interrupting the signal at first, but I've got a laptop whose BT works over 20ft.
With this, I can't even lean back in my chair without my game controller disconnecting.

I've got all the latest bios (3404) and BT drivers (V8.0.0.202) installed already.
Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to fix?
Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

Necrosan
Level 12
I hate to tell ya but the bluetooth setup on this board sucks.
The only way it ever works is, as you said, if you are closer than 3 feet to the antenna on the board. (Encapsulated in the blue cheap looking plastic)
Absolute dismal performance compared to the Rampage III Black Edition. (My previous board)
A shame they cheaped out on this aspect.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sucks is such a nice way to describe the bluetooth performance. 😛

Me I went and pulled the blue thing out of my board and stuck a £6.95 mini dongle in and now have the coverage I want.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
Hmm, I can use my Jabra Supreme all the way across my house (about 10yds, 30', 10m). However, there is one spot in my dining room, about 5yds away, where reception is dead. But I live out in the boondocks so-to-speak. Radio Interferance can make a big difference. But we also have a wi-fi Xmiter, and cordless phones (Dect6.0). If you live in a densly populated area, such as an apartment building, you may just have a lot of RFI, and that will reduce your range. Also, if your computer is under a big metal desk that's going to hurt communication as well. But as HiVizMan pointed out, sorta, the onboard antenna is not in the best position. The case shields the radio waves, meaning they only go out one way, and must bounce off of things to get to their destination. In my case (not PC case), my wife's computer is just a foot behind mine, the radio waves must bounce off of that, giving me more range? Yes, an external would give you a better antenna positioning, farther away from your metal case, so the radio waves radiate out in a larger arc of directions (both ways, Xmit and recieve).

One thing you could do is try putting a large grounded metal object not too far behind your computer, so the RF could bounce off that. Or turn or reposition your computer. FYI.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

Wasabi_Ice_Crea
Level 7
Wow, that's interesting. Thanks again for all the input.
I was able to overcome this by getting a cheap USB Mini Dongle, as HiViz suggested. XD
Shoved it in one of my Front Panel USB 2.0 ports, and all is good.

Wasabi Ice Cream wrote:
Wow, that's interesting. Thanks again for all the input.
I was able to overcome this by getting a cheap USB Mini Dongle, as HiViz suggested. XD
Shoved it in one of my Front Panel USB 2.0 ports, and all is good.

I like the simple fixes. 😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

billydash
Level 7
BLUETOOTH RANGE PROBLEM SOLVED !

Had the same trouble with Bluetooth range.
Connected the WIFI aerial and problem solved.

billydash wrote:
BLUETOOTH RANGE PROBLEM SOLVED !

Had the same trouble with Bluetooth range.
Connected the WIFI aerial and problem solved.

This worked for me! I was having the same issue and once I hooked up the antenna it fixed it. I guess it needs that antenna as well.

KillaBandit wrote:
This worked for me! I was having the same issue and once I hooked up the antenna it fixed it. I guess it needs that antenna as well.

Same for me too, cheers

LOL this was my problem. didn't even think Bluetooth would use an external aerial. Well done for pointing this out