cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black screen after login. new gpu with the only available driver amd 290x

kawasakizx10rr
Level 7
i have had a problem after i installed my new amd r9 290x i have never had a problem with this pc before until i installed this gpu. what happens is 60% of the time i log in after entering my password at boot on windows it hangs just with the blue screen and buffer for about 2 mins max its normally 1-2 seconds. and then i just get a black screen i can ctrl alt tab to get up task manager and see the task manager after spamming the tabs the wallpaper and all the tabs -everything appears and all is normal. so i have ran sfc/ scannow as admin and was given the result. windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. and then try'ed chkdsk /f /r and it ran then restarted my pc before i could read what i did and checked the shell reg data it was explorer exe so thats passed. so what now ? shall i try the windows cd and give the repair a go as the sfc/scannow found problems? i have windows 7 pro 64 bit .

any help please. thank you in advanced

again my pc had never let me down until this new gpu and gpu driver. so its must be the gpu stuff but there is only 1 driver for it 😞 a beta 1

mb : Asus rampage iv extreme X79 ROG
cpu : INTEL i7 3930k OC @ 4.7 Ghz / rog gamer mode
ram : G skill Ripjaw Z 32Gb @ 1600mhz 8 dimms
gpu : AMD Radeon r9 290x @ pcie 3.0
soundcard : Asus Xonar Xense
hdd 1 : SSD Corsair neutron gtx 240GB
hdd 2 : SSD Corsair force series 3 120GB
hdd 3 : Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500GB
hs : Corsair h100
psu : Novatech gold series 1000watt
temp/fan display : NZXT sentry LX
case : Thermatake chaser mk-1
5 REPLIES 5

csbin
Level 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
Did you completely remove the previous graphic driver from your system?

What card did you have before?
Did you have a nvidia card and were you required to patch that card to run Gen3?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kawasakizx10rr
Level 7
it has not happened to me in 3 days now but i give windows about 5 mins before i enter my password and press enter so it gives windows-my gpu time to heat up then it never happens ? i had a 6970 in crossfire before i disabled crossfire then uninstalled the drivers with the amd tool then ran ccleaner registry cleaner.never had nvidia. i thought beta 7 was just xfire boost ? and again if cmd /scannow and was given the result. windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them would that maybe just be there gpu driver, as it arrived after the install of the gpu and drivers.if not or if it was should i try a windows repair as a system restore would not work as it would remove the driver and stuff.the gpu-driver was the only change i try to never update drivers my 6970 had the same driver for over a year it ran so perfect on every game - program. this 290x has a fully dynamic clock and power state im running uber mode that could idle and cause the black screen or slow driver read ? oh i am using the per cap bios i refuse to update it the bios runs great on windows 7 pro. so i would like to wait till there is a none beta driver out for it until i update the gpu driver as they are what they are beta test drivers. i had real problems removing beta drivers before with the 6970 "re installed windows since" just yellow and pure black screens when u remove them and the driver it just stays lol. so i will only install the beta7 if i get this black screen 1 or 2 more times again i have not had it for 2 or 3 days now 🙂 but i have not scanned for it just fingers crossed. so long story short i would like to change as little as possible - nothing lol and wait for a none beta driver.

Zka17
Level 16
Sometimes a graphics card update won't work perfectly until you completely re-install the OS, with the new card in... I know that this is not what you want to hear, but sometimes this is the only best option...

yer seems that way i looked in the reliability history and it shows a few problems mostly bf4 stopped working lol BUT the other say stuff like video hardware error OR windows installer stopped working so i will install a new windows when they bring out a none beta driver. i have not had the problem with startup or shutdown since this post. but i no it could still be there possibly, but windows had done a fair few update since so are be nice to her until the driver is out 🙂 2916529166

ANY 1 KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS ? it gave that error on the 26th the day i installed that card