cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios flashback on Maximus iv gen-z gen3

scoobie
Level 7
Hi people.

I bought the maximus genz/gen3 last year and have enjoyed everything about it up untill i upgraded the bios to 3203(from 0402) and now like every one else i have all the bugs and the board is alot less stable 😞

Ive been looking through alot of forums to try and find a PROPER fix for this silly problem.
Out of all the fixes and flashback tools ive found 1 that looks promising...
my only concern with this method is "has it worked for anyone else ?", is there anyone that has tried this method and it works 100% like the guy says,he said he has done it 4/5 times now without any of the horror problems others have had when flashing back to orignal bios.

this is the method, thanks in advanced 😉

taken from asus maximus iv genz/gen3 forum

How To - Flashback from 3x bios Maximus Gene-Z Gen2/3

Hi, for all of you who have one of these boards and want to flashback to 403, 706 etc... from the 3x Ivy Bridge bugged bioses I have found a solution for ya
Step 1:
Download the following file and extract the 'Flashback' folder to your desktop.
http://www.mediafire.com/?disy9c2iw6c2p0d

Step 2:
Download the bios file you wish to flashback to, then rename the file to 'bios.rom' and copy it into the 'Flashback' folder that you extracted to your desktop.

Step 3:
Make a Dos-Bootable USB and copy the 'Flashback' folder to it, for more info on how to create a Dos-Bootable USB Flash Drive see the link below.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ve-create.html

Step 4:
Boot to the USB drive and enter the following (without the quotes!!):
"cd C:\FLASHB~1\DOS" -- Press 'Enter'
Then type:
"fpt.exe -dumplock" -- Press 'Enter'
If you see the text below you're good to go to the next step, if however you do not see the text below you have a locked bios and you will need to use a hardware SPI-program to unlock it first.

Lock Settings.
=======================
Host CPU master: 00 00 FF FF
ME region master: 00 00 FF FF
GBE region master: 18 01 FF FF

Step 5:
Type the following (Without quotes!!)
"afu.exe ..\bios.rom /p /b /n /r /k1 /k2" -- Press 'Enter'
Then type (Without quotes!!)
"F" then "Y"

Step 6:
Type the following (Without quotes)
"fpt.exe -f ..\bios.rom -me" -- Press 'Enter'

Step 7:
Type the following (Without quotes)
"fpt.exe -greset" -- Press 'Enter'

Step 8:
Boot into new bios, configure settings and enjoy

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DO THIS WRONG AND BRICK YOUR SYSTEM!!
This works 100% if done correctly AND DOES NOT remove MB MAC address info etc as some other methods do. I have gone to 3203 and back to 403 five times to test and it worked every time.

3 REPLIES 3

HavNoClue
Level 7
i wish i had an answer for ya, im wanting to do the same thing to my board....i will say it really "looks" like he knows what he's talking about....give it a shot and report back....

RazorCat
Level 10
those instructions are long and too lengthy, we might make a slight mistake during the process and we end up with a bricked mobo.. I have the bios version 3203 currently... bugs... just waiting for ASUS to fix these bugs..
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H

Yeah does seem kinda long,but tbh ive flashed my graphics cards this way and they work perfectly every time i do it.

Was hoping someone/or one of the rog team might test this method and confirm it works ok.
Still cant believe asus released this bios with all the bugs that it has,we should all just RMA together and maybe then they will get there fingers out.

SURELY ONE OF THE ROG TEAM HAS A SPARE BOARD AND CAN TEST THIS AND CONFIRM IT WORKS.

Wouldnt even bother asking asus ......there the reason were all in this situation in the first place.