cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bent CPU socket pins voids guarantee over separate issue?

Skaro
Level 7
Sorry for the wall of text, TL;DR at the bottom.

About 8 months ago I build my first computer with an Intel CPU and messed up with installing the CPU. I managed to bend 3 pins a little bit and freaked out, but figured I would put it together and see if it still worked or if I had ruined the motherboard. As it turned out, the damage was not significant enough to effect the performance or stability of the system and I managed to get comparable results on benchmarks to those I found online.
8 months go by without a hitch, but then something happen and the computer will not power on. I turn it in for troubleshooting and the company concludes that it is the motherboard that is the faulty part. So I send it in to the retailer and explain what happen.

Yesterday they got back to me and said that since the pins are somewhat bent, they will not even look at it more, and neither will the manufacturer. So even tough the bent pins are not, as far as anyone can tell, the issue nothing will be done with the board and the guarantee is void.

At the moment I am at a loss, don't know what to do. I chose a top end motherboard with the hopes of better support and some protection against this type of things should they occur.

Is there anything I can do here, or just suck it up and buy another board?
The motherboard is a ROG ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO and I live in Sweden, in case that matters.

TL;DR I bent some pins in the CPU socket then the motherboard broke 8 months later. Help?
2 REPLIES 2

Finguz
Level 7
It doesn't matter how much you spend on a board, if you cause physical damage ( accidentally or otherwise ) then the warranty is void regardless of any other issues I'm afraid.

Having said that, you might get lucky, stranger things have happened.
Win 10 Pro x64
i7 4770K @ 4.6GHz - NH-D14
Asus Maximus VI Hero - 1505
Corsair Vengeance Pro 8Gig
Gigabyte R9 290 unlocked 2816 cu's
Asus Xonar D2X - Stoner Acoustics UD110v2
XFX Pro XXX 650W

Yea, I realize that now.

I will contact ASUS directly and not go through the retailer and hope I get lucky with them now I suppose.