cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad 4790k? Please I Need Help

Stogie
Level 7
Hello,

So recently I bought a 4790k to drop in my Maximus VI Formula after Asus released the compatible UEFI. After the upgrade I noticed when I set the xmp it would crank the cpu volts up to 1.28 and make the machine unstable. I came here to the forums seeking advice as to what could be causing this. I created this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51102-Devils-Canyon-and-z87-Issues Chino was kind enough to help me begin troubleshooting, but nothing I did seemed to make a difference.

After having to leave town for work and cutting my troubleshooting with Chino short I decided to buy a Maximus VII Formula. My concern was I messed up the mobo while doing the flash and the mobo may be toast.

However, over this last weekend I installed the M7F and dropped in the 4790k. First thing I did was try out xmp. my world came crashing down again. Once again cpu volts cranked up to 1.28v. After a little melt down and a walk around the block I came back and set the ram up manually per Chinos guide. To my amazement everything was fine. it showed the cpu volts at 1.05 and the ram running at 2400MHz.

After installing the os and trying to figure out why the M7F only has 3 controllable Cha fan headers instead of 6 like the M6F, I ended up doing a load opt settings in the UEFI. I set the ram back up following Chinos guide but this time the cpu volts cranked back up to 1.28v What the?

I've tried clearing CMOS a few times, I tried leaving some options on auto but nothing I do works. Its always goes up to 1.28v.

When setting ram up manually on my M6F, hitting F10 and reviewing the changes it only showed the changes I was making to the ram. However when I do the same with the M7F I not only see the changes to the ram but I also get this. "VRM Spread Spectrum [Enabled]->[Disabled]" and "Anti-Surge Support [Enabled]->[Disabled]" this happens every time. I don't even know what that is.

Could my cpu be bad? My ram worked flawlessly until I did the flash so how could it have gone bad? I also inspected the cpu and socket closely before installing.

If the cpu is bad my biggest concern is dealing with Intel. I have a feeling they are gonna say tuff luck, you shouldn't have tried to use that cpu with that mobo. I'm a little intimidated by Intel, they don't seem like they would take care of their customers as say, Corsair would. Maybe I'm wrong

System Specs with Z87 & 4770k
Intel i7 4770k "Not over clocked"
Asus Maximus VI Formula Bios 1402
Asus ROG Matrix Platinum 780Ti
Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 2400MHz
Asus ROG RaidR Express 240GB SSD
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
Hitachi 7200 rpm 500GB HDD
Corsair H80i
Corsair 860i
Asus ROG Front Base
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

System Specs with Z87 & 4790k
Intel i7 4790k
Asus Maximus VI Formula Bios 1505
Corsair Force GT x2 240GB in Raid 0
WD Black 7200rpm 2TB HDD
Corsair H100i
Corsair 860i
Asus ROG Front Base
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

System Specs with Z97 & 4790k
Intel i7 4790k
Asus Maximus VII Formula Launch Bios
Corsair Force GT x2 240GB in Raid 0
WD Black 7200rpm 2TB HDD
Corsair H100i
Corsair 860i
Asus ROG Front Base
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit
18 REPLIES 18

chevell
Level 7
The V-core voltage should clock down with the CPU. I had this problem as well but in my case it was the power saving feature in Windows which was set to High Performance rather than Balanced. It clocks down fine now both voltage and CPU Mhz.

Also make sure that Intel speed step and C-state are enabled in bios.

I don't know whats going on. If I set the ram manually it shouldn't crank the cpu volts up. Right? All the settings in the bios are set to the default setting you get after a clear CMOS. Then I follow the ram set up guide and its the same, cpu 1.28v..I really need to figure out if the cpu is bad.

chevell
Level 7
I set the ram voltage manually as well, doesn't effect CPU down clocking.

If you are using the AI suite make sure it isn't overriding the v-core settings in bios. If you ran the 5 way optimizer it will override the bios settings.

I set the ram timings, voltage and freq all manually. I only use AI Suite for fan tuning, have yet to run 5 way opt.. My friends coming by this weekend with some ram, If I swap it out and I'm still having the same problem then I'll know its the cpu, I mean what else could it be? That's one cpu failing in 2 mobo's. I also have a 4770k I can try. Just want to take the easy road first. In the past I've never had problems with this kit of ram or any other kit of ram and setting xmp profiles. The whole situation doesn't make sense.

chevell
Level 7
So you did check the power settings in Windows so as to make sure you are using the balanced settings rather than performance?

I'm having a hard time believing that the CPU is actually failing. Be sure and reset bios to optimized defaults under Boot, restart and check the CPU for down clocking after. If you still have problems try uninstalling the AI suite.

Ive done everything, Win 7 is on balance mode. Ive cleared CMOS, loaded optimized settings over 10 time on the M7F. On the M6F It was done over 20 times. XMP wouldn't work even when I tried before installing the os on the M7F. On the M6F I couldn't even instal Ai Suite 3 for some reason.
The cpu is down clocking as well as the voltage.

When I set up the ram only the cpu volts are stuck at 1.28 and don't move, in the bios or in AI Suite 3. Here's a link to the first thread I created. Its all based on the issues I was having after I flashed the Devils Canyon compatibility with Z87 bios.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51102-Devils-Canyon-and-z87-Issues

I'll try uninstalling AI Suite 3.. Also do you know anything about the settings that change every time I try setting up the ram manually?

"VRM Spread Spectrum [Enabled]->[Disabled]" and "Anti-Surge Support [Enabled]->[Disabled]"

They only appear when I go to save the manual ram setup. It must be new to Z97 cause I never seen them before on my Z87. Ive owned 1 3770k, 2 4770ks and a 4790k in 18 month time. None of them had problems so I see how its hard to believe t5he cpu could be bad. I guess cause the ram was working fine the morning I flashed the new bios on the Z87. Its hard for me to believe it could be ram.

I'm not a overclocker or tweaker, and aside from a Raid0 set up and some fan adjustments both boards bios are running on factory settings.

Thanks for your help chevell

chevell
Level 7
I read through the other thread and it seems like this problem is from using the SMP profile for this particular memory. I'm not sure why the manual memory settings aren't sticking.

I'd have to try a different set of memory at this point and it looks like you have a friend coming over for that. There is a list of compatible memory at the Asus download site for your board. You really need something that is rated to use with Z97.

As for the Raid0, you need to make sure those SSD's aren't using the old Sandpoint firmware because it's not compatible with these boards, it will prevent other hard drives from showing up and you will get inconsistent boot ups most of the time.

XMP for my ram worked fine for a year on the M6F Z87, wasn't until I flashed the bios for the Devils Canyon that it became a problem. I looked in the manual and I don't see my ram kit listed 4x4GB (16GB) @ 2400. However they do show 4x8GB (32GB) @2400 as well as every other config for 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum. I'm glad you brought that to my attention, thanks chevell

As far as the Raid0 and the other drives not showing up, I have everything up and running smooth.

If I want to attempt to run this ram kit at different configs and speeds. Should I just pull the necessary dimm's and lower the freq when I set it up?

So I just tried using a 2x8GB kit of G.Skill RipJaws 1600MHz. I was surprised to see the ram running at 1600MHz without using xmp or setting up the ram manually. I always use Corsair ram and have always had to set the xmp to get it to run at its advertised speeds.

Anyhow, I installed the ram, it showed 1600MHz and the cpu volts at 1.05, yeah, that's much better. I then tried....

Loading Opt settings, turn on xmp. Volts on the cpu crank back up to 1.28 what the heck?? I then tried...

Load Opt settings, clear CMOS and set up ram manually. Volts on the cpu crank back up to 1.28 what the hell?

This the first cpu I've ever had or heard of that would not allow ram to be set up using xmp or manually. Any tips for convincing Intel I need a replacement? Thanks for your help.