cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back with another problem!

Doco
Level 9
Okay I'l cut a long story short (ish) - I was copying some video files from 1hdd to another when windows stopped responding and needed a restart (win 7 64-bit) afterwards I decided to do a manual restart just to boot up without any errors, now my pc took ages to boot up, as in minutes hanging on the asusrog splash screen, after multiple attempts of resetting,clear cmos etc i eventually unplugged all my devices and then restarted - this worked straight away (since found out that one of the external hdds seems to def. be failing and I think is the culprit to slowing theb oot time)

Since Ive done this I have an unknown device in device manager under "universal serial bus controllers", I have connected a device into each of my usb ports and discovered that my top 4 usb ports wont recognize or respond, the board is the Maximus extreme 4 z board, on pages 2-52 of the manual its the devices labeled 6 and 2.

I had originally had my keboard installed into the top 2 slots - its the saitek v5 board and my mouse was connected into the board. I had some bother installing the keyboard drivers and have the same problem now in any other usb port, i will just get a red x saying the device was not installed, when I download the drivers manually it asks for me to plug in the device I want to install abut it dosnt matter where I install it the software doesnt regonise that Ive plugged it in ( though I think this is a compatibility issue with win7 I would appreciate any help)

So any options on getting my 4 usb ports back?

Thanks in advance!
i7-2700K @ 1.33v 4.6ghz/ Asus Maximus Extreme IV-Z
Nzxt Phantom + Nzxt Havik 140
His IceQ7950 3G/Corsair VX550
Finally Updated to Windows 7! :cool:
6 REPLIES 6

chrsplmr
Level 18
personally.. i would uninstall it in device manager with the usb's unplugged..
if it has no ps2/for a ps2 keyboard/ thats the only usb id plug in and reboot...
if all goes well plug them in one at a time..

windows gets stuck on stupid sometimes (mbr..ect)... especially when it comes to usb's.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you have a large storage device USB in system when you boot it will hang. No idea why it does this but it does. So I tend to only put them in when I need them. Does not happen to everyone and not all the time but when it does it is a freak out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Doco
Level 9
Yeh the slow boot times is caused by one of my hard drives (the 640gb one will cause it but the 1 tb one wont? aw well haha)

Ive looked about and found some similar issues to my usb ports not working has - http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6285-MAXIMUS-IV-EXTREME-P67-USB-3.0-Ports-Not-Working

would any solutions from the p67 boards be transferable to the z68?

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is a question that is best answered by actually giving it a go, the worst case is no change. The upside is - sorted. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Doco
Level 9
Just thought I'd post an update, I tried to reset my cmos - first time I did this the previous usb hubs that weren't working started to work, however the front usb 3.0 port on my case stopped working as did 2 on the back of the mother board, my keyboard would light up but not install any software so couldn't be used

Tried to res set the cmos again - this time it went back to the original problem I posted in my first post

- both ocassions with nothing plugged in I would receive an unknown device in device manager under the usb section

I got fed up (not going to lie) so I uninstalled all the drivers for 3.0 devices in device manager and reset the pc, it re installed the drivers but my keyboard still wouldn't install and my 4 usb ports wouldnt work, so I just turned the pc off (powered down and at the wall)

came back their now after about an hour to have another go - booted up and installed the drivers for remaining 3.0 ports and my keyboard effortlessly - I dont know exactly what solved the problem - because ive powered the pc down and turned it off at the wall over the weekend a few times, so maybe it was a combination of uninstalling the drivers and letting the pc sit without even standby power - I;m not sure but hopefully this wont happen again, and for anyone suffering the same problem as myself perhaps try to uninstall the drivers and power down? good luck.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Welcome to the world of USB3 hell.