cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B550 Semi-random hard-reboots with DOCP enabled - Don't know what to else to try

ragp13
Level 7
TLDR: New PC restarts randomly when DOCP is enabled. Mostly after gaming/when idle. DRAM is on QVL but different set nets the same results. All drivers latest version. Lower frequency/different voltage have no effect.

Built my own pc for the first time again in 15 years.

Specs are:
*Ryzen 5 3600 (stock)
Sapphire RX 5700 XT (driver 20.7.1)
Asus Prime B550M-A (Wifi)
16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200 G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
Corsair TX550M V2 PSU
Crucial MX500 2,5" 1TB

When loading the DOCP profile for this memory, the system is very unstable and can hard-reset within minutes after booting, or after a bit of gaming. Rarely during gaming. Never do I get a Blue-screen (once or twice a green-screen, but might have had my GPU overclocked at that time). It's generally always the pc just rebooting without a warning. Windows Event Viewer always states an Unexpected Shutdown Event ID41 Error.

I swapped the QVL G.Skill memory for (albeit non QVL) but supposedly reliable Crucial BLS2K8G4D32AESBK. Same instability.

- Memory is in DIMM Slots A2 and B2*
- Temperatures are fine
- Running at 3000mhz instead of 3200mhz also results in hard-reboots
- All drivers are the latest version (although I also tried older GPU drivers)
- BIOS is the latest version at 0805
- Benchmark scores and overall performance is normal
- Windows Fast Restart is Disabled
- AMD Power plan Balance/High performance doesn't affect it
- Increase VSOC Voltage with 0.05V didn't help
- Increase DRAM Voltage with 0.05V to 1.40V didn't help
- I've reseated the GPU and DRAM I am reading about some other B550 users who experience similar issues, but also people without issues:*

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/hq2mku/random_reboots_with_asus_prime_b550ma_wifi_and/ (my own post) https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?119384-ROG-STRIX-B550-F-GAMING-issues https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/hfa5oo/buyer_beware_asus_motherboards_putting_ram_on/

*I feel like I am running out of options and it's driving me slightly nuts. Just a bad Motherboard? Or poorly supported UEFI at this stage, or am I missing something?
19 REPLIES 19

Yep 1002 seemed to have fixed stability issues!

Fapster
Level 7
Same happening on my Strix x570-e gaming. Took me ages to tinker and manually put soc and ram voltages high. Even the newest Bios 2602 im running got taken back from Asus and the issue is investigating. Vddc soc voltage to 1.125 and ram voltage to 1.37 fixed my random reboots. Make sure to sheck tRC value matching with ur XMP/DOCP profile.

I got the same problem also, my G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16 (F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC) causes random reboots at XMP/DOCP. It's on G.Skills QVL list though but not ASUS, so I ordered a ASUS QVL memory but gives me same error. Now on 1002 with new memory, no reboots yet with new memory, will pop in old and try again.

I just saw that 1002 has been pulled, anyone know why?

been asking the same question and no one knows why they pulled it?

Same, I called and didn't get a clear answer either. E-mailed and got a reply that they can't inquire internally why it's been pulled...*:rolleyes:

1004 is put up today

I now updated from 1002 to 1004, my random reboots came back.

christizzz
Level 7
i am also having problems with my b550-e with 1004 bios...i am not getting reboot though but the DOCP seems unstable.... if i turn my PSU off and then turn it back on... the motherboard wont boot and i will get Ram led error...i need to clear cmos...
if i shut down the PC without turning the PSU off, it will boot normally... restarts also boots normallly.... jsut when i turn my PSU off and back on that the problem occurs... i also tried with my old ram gskill ripjaws 16gb @3200 cl16-16-16-36 and same problem when activating DOCP...
the ones i am using now are the trident z 32gb @3600 CL16-19-19-39 ( they are ont the QVL of asus)....

Do not use DCOP or XMP, but 1usmus DRAM Calculator and I am most sure your problems will end.
https://www.overclock.net/threads/new-dram-calculator-for-ryzen%E2%84%A2-1-7-3-overclocking-dram-on-...
I would also disable ERP.

i have docp on and never had any boot issues with patriot memory. So very weird.

Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz 16GB Kit
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
ROG STRIX B550-F
Patriot Viper VPN100 M.2
Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe
Cooler Master RR-212S-20PC-R1 Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition CPU Air Cooler
Corsair RM750
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER