cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio buzzing on Maximus Hero VII

PaulGregg
Level 7
I have a weird issue. Built my system a couple of months ago and used the Maximus Hero VII and ROG Front Base.
The Front Base uses the audio header on the mobo - so my headphone jack and mic jack is on the Front Base and the chassis ones are not connected.

Win 8.1 installed. Audio drivers and everything installed without any errors.

When I plug in the headphones, SupremeFX pops up and does the impedence checking and sets the phones. They work fine.

*BUT* There is a discernible buzzing noise whenever the screen image moves. For example, go to maps.google.com and use the mouse to slide the map around.... buzz city.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
PG
8 REPLIES 8

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greetings and welcome to the ROG Forum!

A few questions for you...

1) Do you have this problem when when you plug the head-phones into the back speaker output?

2) Do you have this problem if you use the computer case's HD Audio (vs. using the ROG Front Panel)

I just purchased the same parts that you have including the ROG Front Panel and the reports is that the ROG Front Panel causes noise/popping and other annoying sound effects. I won't get around to building this system till this weekend so I'll let you know if I have the same problem.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

PaulGregg
Level 7
Thanks for your reply.

Never thought to try the back - my normal speakers are plugged in there... so... couple of sore knees later trying to access it 🙂

1) No. When I plug the headphones (decent Denon closed cup) into the back motherboard green audio out socket, SupremeFX asked me what I just plugged in (same as happens when I plug into the front). I selected Headphones. And *there is zero buzzing*. Perfect back there.
Moving them back to the Front Base, buzzing returns.

2) The case has a HD Audio header, but the motherboard only has a single HD audio header pins - and so the Front Base is plugged into that, *not* the case one. Therefore the case sockets are disconnected and don't work.

Seems like the issue lies in the ROG Front Base 😞

DaleR
Level 7
Everyone has this issue with the Front Base.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Thanks DaleR as I thought this would be the case.

Paul if you want to swap the HD audio between the ROG Front Panel and the case just to very but I'm fairly certain that the ROG Front Panel is the culprit.

Again I'll give this a try this weekend when I build up my system and post back my findings on Monday.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

PaulGregg
Level 7
😞

So swapped the Front Base HD header cable (disconnected it) and connected the Chassis HD Audio cable and plugged the headphones into the chassis.... Same buzzing exists upon screen movement. Seems like the buzzing is originating on the motherboard then ?

Also went into the bios and changed the chassis audio from HD audio to AC97, but that made no difference. Still buzzes.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Yes Paul then I would agree that his appears to be a motherboard problem then.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

DaleR
Level 7
Or it could be the same problem with his Chassis Audio panel, it might have the USB/Audio grounds tied together.
This is quite common on some chassis. I have had to modify the front panel PCB on most cases, especially coolermaster.

I think the front base has it's ground tied to USB/SATA/Audio, haven't checked with my fluke meter, I also have a 300mhz Rigol Digital Oscilloscope I can use for some testing at some point.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
DaleR I am so jealous! I've only got an old Tektronix 30MHz analog scope. I've been wanting to get a new MSO as I do a lot of work with PICs using BASIC (Basicmicro) & a very little with Ardunios. Maybe if I would stop by computer parts I could afford a new MSO!

I agree on the grounding issues; it is just that this is out of the scope of most individuals 🙂

Send me a message if you don't mind on your Rigol but I'm looking at a 100MHz MSO; would like your input on Rigol as I was actually looking at the new Tektronix 2000 Series. Also like the HP (forgot their new name) of the 2000 Series too.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]